At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We're all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
In close coordination with the litigation attorneys and Senior Legal Assistants in the Discover Legal Department, this role applies knowledge of legal concepts to support the legal department and businesses on a variety of litigation matters.
- Reviews, researches, and responds to government-issued subpoenas for the Enterprise. Reviews and assesses bankruptcy preference demands, including conducting account research, advising attorneys on defenses, recommending course of action, and preparing initial draft response.
- Reviews and manages service of process of legal mail for the Enterprise, including necessary research to ensure appropriate and timely distribution of mail to correct units. Timely review of Counterclaims and Bankruptcy Mailboxes and preparation of matters for attorney review.
- Responsible for timely processing and tracking settlement obligations for all Litigation settlements.
- Manages Serengeti (matter management system), including opening new matters, capturing matter-specific metrics, uploading relevant documents, running reports, and ranking relevant accounts in corresponding business applications.
At a minimum, here's what we need from you:
- Associate's Degree in Paralegal Studies, or related field
- 2+ years of experience in Law firm, In-House Law department, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 4+ years of experience in Law firm, In-House Law department, or related field
If we had our say, we'd also look for:
- Bachelor's Degree in Paralegal Studies, or related field
- 2+ years of experience in consumer financial services
- In lieu of a degree, 4+ years of experience in consumer financial services
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.