19/20 School Year
Student Teaching is one of the most valuable experiences of your educational career. RRPS is dedicated to work with our educational partners in supporting completion of the student teaching experience required by the State of New Mexico and the Public Education Department for the certification of teachers. RRPS will provide appropriate student teacher placement that allows the student teacher to meet all certification requirements.
The following universities/colleges have an MOU in place with RRPS:
- University of New Mexico
- Central New Mexico Community College
- New Mexico Highlands University
- University of Phoenix
Once an MOU is established universities/colleges may coordinate student placement directly with local school administration. Final acceptance of placement is determined by the school administrator.
Student Teacher Placement Requirements
Student teachers requesting placement in the Rio Rancho Public Schools District are required to:
- submit an Online Student Teaching Application,
- complete a Background/Fingerprint Check.
- complete paperwork packet with Substitute Services Specialist
Contact HRSubstitute Services Specialist Claudine Baldwin, (505) 896-0667 ext. 51243, to obtain detailed instructions for obtaining the background check and to schedule an appointment to complete required paperwork. Upon completion of all required paperwork, as well as confirmation of a clear background check, the site administrator will be notified by Substitute Services that the student teacher is cleared to report for their assignment.
Should any problems arise, the cooperating teacher should first contact the designated school administrator who, in turn, should contact the university director or coordinator for assistance as needed.
Substituting During Student Teaching
- If permitted by the attending university/college, the student teachers (not observers) may substitute for their mentor teachers only.
- Student teachers may not substitute for more than 10 days for their mentor teacher without permission from college and HR Operations Manager.
- It will be necessary for the student teacher to complete the substitute teacher license application process with HR Substitute Services
- Should the student teacher desire to continue substituting after completing his/her student teaching field experience, the student teacher must follow the appropriate orientation procedure to become an RRPS substitute.
For additional information, please contact Claudine Baldwin, Substitute Services Specialist, email@example.com, or by phone at 505.962.1243.
An Equal Opportunity Employer