Lineman B - OH-Rio Grande Valley, TX
Lineman B - OH -Rio Grande Valley, TX
The Apprentice Lineman B is a semi-skilled position in the construction, repair and maintenance of electrical overhead distribution systems. The work involves the performance of skilled tasks in accordance with standard trade practices.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Regular attendance and punctuality.
- Adhere to safety practices and procedures, such as checking equipment regularly and erecting barriers around work areas and follow company procedure in reporting unsafe conditions or practices.
- Climb poles or use truck-mounted buckets to access equipment and works at heights.
- Safely construct, maintain, and repair electrical overhead and underground distribution systems and substations, including conduits, cables, wires, and related equipment, such as transformers, circuit breakers, and switches.
- Verify proper grounding of truck.
- Safely control traffic passing near, in or around work zones.
- Keep unauthorized people away from work area.
- Identify defective sectionalizing devices, circuit breakers, fuses, voltage regulators, transformers, switches, relays, or wiring, using wiring diagrams and electrical-testing instruments.
- Drive vehicles equipped with tools and materials to job sites.
- String wire conductors and cables between poles, towers, trenches, pylons, and buildings, setting lines in place and using winches to adjust tension.
- Replace or straighten damaged poles.
- Attach cross-arms, insulators, and auxiliary equipment to poles prior to installing them.
- Dig holes, using augers, and set poles, using cranes and power equipment.
- Splice or solder cables together or to overhead transmission lines, customer service lines, or street light lines, using hand tools, epoxies, or specialized equipment.
- Cut and peel lead sheathing and insulation from defective or newly installed cables and conduits prior to splicing.
- Clean, tin, and splice corresponding conductors by twisting ends together or by joining ends with metal clamps and soldering connections.
- Pull up cable by hand from large reels mounted on trucks.
- Lay underground cable directly in trenches, or string it through conduit running through the trenches.
- Cut trenches for laying underground cables, using trenchers and cable plows.
- Minimum 2 1/2 years’ experience in groundman and lineman work. (Lineman training school qualifies for experience; field assesssment to determine competency.)
- Ability to travel at a moment’s notice, anytime
- Available to work irregular hours, weekends and holidays, as needed
- Possess at minimum a valid CDL-B license
- Possess your own tools
- Ability to handle physically demanding construction duties in harsh weather conditions
- Ability to read and follow instructions
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs
- Ability to hear a long distance
- Must be able to see long distances and differentiate between colors and have clear depth perception, as well as peripheral vision ability.
DESIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Completion of a Lineman training school preferred.
- Computer application aptitude is a plus.
Chain Electric Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, sex, age (40 and above), religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status where otherwise qualified.