Boehringer Ingelheim is currently seeking a driven and innovative Post-Doctoral Fellow to join the Immunology & Respiratory Department, located at our Ridgefield, CT facility.
As a Post-Doctoral Fellow, you will drive innovative research in the area of smooth muscle biology as it relates to stricturing disease, a high unmet need for patients with Crohn's disease. In particular, we are recruiting for a creative scientist to: 1) unravel the contribution of smooth muscle hyperplasia and hypertrophy in driving pathology, 2) define the role of inflammation and tissue location in driving the modulation of smooth muscle cell biology and 3) relate in vitro findings to RNAseq data being generated in parallel from patient samples. The successful candidate will be mentored by senior members of BI’s: IBD translation labs, histopathology labs and colleagues with expertise in computational biology while also having the opportunity to interact with key opinion leaders in the field. The successful candidate is expected to publish research findings to internal and external scientific communities.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- The Post-Doctoral Fellow will focus on investigating the functional response of intestinal smooth muscle cells upon stimulation with disease relevant inflammatory and fibrotic stimuli. The contributions of current therapeutic targets will be explored in order to delineate unique pathways that may be amenable to therapeutic intervention.
- The Post-Doctoral Fellow will have the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues who have expertise in distinct cell types and disease focus areas, in order to enhance our understanding of cellular crosstalk and inform the specificity of such cross talk to the intestine.
Desired Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates a broad knowledge of molecular pathways and cell biology linked to activation and pathobiology of cells within the gut. Familiarity with: 2D and 3D culture systems, computational biology and the underlying biology of fibrosis as it relates to intestinal immune-related diseases and aberrant tissue remodeling is a plus.
- Has a demonstrated ability to apply a variety of state-of-the-art biochemical and immunological methods to monitor cytokine production, cell proliferation, apoptosis, cytotoxicity, reporter gene activities, and molecular signal transduction pathways and related biomarkers in response to small molecule, nucleic acid or therapeutic biologic reagents
- Has solid hands-on experience with basic cell culture / genetic manipulation techniques as well as molecular and cell biology approaches to quantify nucleic acids, proteins and/or metabolites (TaqMan, Nanostring, RNAseq, Immunoprecipitation-Western, ELISA, immunohistochemistry, FACS, ELISA, etc.) : adept at operating laboratory plate readers and liquid handling systems (UV/VIS, infrared, fluorescence, luminescence and radiometric).
- Strong working knowledge of computer software including MicroSoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and additional scientific analysis software including Prizm GraphPad, SpotFire, XL-Fit or comparable scientific data applications
- Ability to troubleshoot assays and interpret complex data in an independent fashion
- Highly motivated in driving cutting edge research and delivering high-quality publications
- Expertise in smooth muscle cell biology is a plus.
- PhD degree in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, immunology, or related discipline
- Work in a highly collaborative environment with strong written and oral communication skill
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required).
Must be 18 years of age or older
Who We Are:
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create value through innovation with one clear goal: to improve the lives of patients. We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture. Learning and development for all employees is key because your growth is our growth.
Want to learn more? Visit boehringer-ingelheim.com and join us in our effort to make more health.
Boehringer Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health USA, Inc., Merial Barceloneta, LLC and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status, including protected veteran status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.