Relying on deep therapeutic area expertise,
scientific knowledge and an understanding of Clinical Development and Medical Affairs,
this role is responsible for the US medical/scientific TA strategy, product
portfolio and contributing to pipeline clinical development programs. This
position serves on the cross-functional US leadership team for the Therapy Area
(TA) and is highly visible, collaborative and influential in ensuring US
patient needs and market dynamics are proactively addressed.
Leads the US TA Medical strategy,
co-creates the US TA business strategy and influences the global TA strategy to
ensure alignment with US competitive landscape, Regulatory framework and
strategic aspirations. Actively participates and informs global development
programs from a conceptual/strategic level based on US market trends and
demands and translates to the practical execution level.
Develops and maintains relationships
with external organizations/experts to ensure BI’s products meet market needs
and offer patient-centric therapeutics options to enhance BI’s
reputation. External relationships drive the support of BI research
programs, clinical development programs and licensed product maintenance and
optimization, including real world evidence planning. This includes
developing the strategy for US Medical Advisory Board and Expert Panel
meetings, Medical Grants, External Collaborative Research, strategic evidence
generation activities and Medical Publications.
Manages TA Medical budget and
resources. ED actively manages and develops TA Medical staff.
Indirectly engages with across functional groups to ensure alignment and
clarity of TA strategy. Ensures implementation and prioritization of TA agenda
within the US business and creates visible collaboration between in-house and
field Medical planning and execution.
As an employee of Boehringer
Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and
delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence
provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering
visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We
realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We
support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working
environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and
work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect
Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees
Duties & Responsibilities
- Business-minded medical executive is responsible forthe long-term development, coordination, prioritization and execution ofthe US medical TA, product development and evidence generation strategies.Actively engage with corporate Medicine to shape Global TA strategythrough interpretation and understanding of long-term US market needs andcollaborates with Corporate TA to ensure US position and resourcerequirements within global TA strategy are appropriate. Gathersinsights, maintains a high degree of awareness of clinical landscape,guidelines, scientific literature and builds external relationships toform a relevant and sustainable strategy reflective of patient, payor andother US customer needs. Uses customer-centric mentality to communicateand influence the implementation of US TA strategy within BI.Collaborates with Scientific Communications, Field-Based Medicine (FBM),Clinical Operations, and Regulatory Leaders to ensure BI captures, interpretsand reports meaningful data, trends and insights to inform medical planobjectives within TA.
- Possesses deep therapeutic area/scientific knowledgeand in-depth understanding of US medical affairs, clinical development andUS healthcare delivery system. Keeps abreast of currentmedical/scientific progress and actively develops and maintainsrelationships with outside experts aligned with the scientific objectivesand business objectives of the Therapeutic Area Section. Serves as aliaison by representing the company with external professional societies,patient groups and other relevant entities. Continuous awareness of thechanging healthcare environment and provider/expert and payer landscapes.
- As the top US TA authority, oversees the developmentmedical/scientific content, owns TA grant strategy and participates ininternal and external events/forums to advance BI's business.
- Leads and develops a Therapeutic Area Medical team toenable effective design and implementation of medical and researchobjectives for US TA and BI. Responsible for ensuring TA staff meetsdepartment goals, successfully execute tactics and collaborate with keystakeholders/BI functions, in accordance with compliance and regulatoryguidelines.
- Performs HR activities related to hiring, talentmanagement, succession planning, and performance management.
- Establishes an environment of engagement, collaboration,positive culture and mutual respect internally and with key externalcustomers for the therapeutic area.
- DRUG DEVELOPMENT
- Dedicated to a successful and relevant global clinical developmentprogram to the US therapeutics strategies throughout the full life cycleof drug development. Evaluates and provides medical/scientific,technical and managerial input into global and US drug development anddiscovery programs through TA team and participation in local andinternational committees. Directs the local implementation of suchprograms in alignment with global TA agenda while balancing againstbudgets and financial planning expectations.
- BUSINESS ACUMEN
- Focus on outcomes and accountability of TA team.Highly collaborative with other business critical functions (e.g.Marketing, HEOR, Compliance, Legal, HR, Finance, etc).
- Understanding of business objectives for theportfolio/product.
- Influences internal peers and functional leaders todevelop compliant and relevant process and policies across TA. Mayproactively identify gaps in how BI collects, reports and uses marketintelligence. Works with functional leadership to close these gaps.
- Provides input to maintain US BI standards, workethics, processes and procedures necessary to run a cost efficientdepartment.
- MD, DO or PhD from an accredited institution in amedical/scientific discipline or Doctoral degree in Pharmacy.
- MD or DO with eight plus (8 ) years OR PhD with tenplus (10 ) years OR PharmD with twelve plus (12 ) years industryexperience in clinical Drug Development and US Medical Affairs andunderstanding of the US clinical practice environment.
- Extensive industry experience in clinical DrugDevelopment and US Medical Affairs required.
- Clear record of successfully planning and executingMedical Affairs and/or Clinical Development strategy, clinical trials,regulatory submissions and a demonstrated ability to function at a programlevel.
- Experience in an Academic Medical environment with anestablished record of clinical investigation.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, coach and developteams.
- Ability to effectively work in a multidisciplinaryteam.
- Exhibits flexibility in working collaboratively acrossinternal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated business acumen with ability to balanceneed for maintaining high scientific standards with business relevance andimpact.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish strong customerrelationships.
- Focus on external customers.
- Requires pharmaceutical industry experience in clinicaldrug development and/or Medical Affairs in the specific therapeutic areaor closely related field.
legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
Must be 18
years of age or older
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create
value through innovation with one clear goal: to improve the lives of patients.
We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas
of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we
focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees
globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive
culture. Learning and development for all employees is key because your
growth is our growth.
Want to learn more? Visit boehringer-ingelheim.com
and join us in our effort to make more health.
Boehringer Ingelheim, including
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA,
Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health USA Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health
Puerto Rico LLC and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equal
opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to a culturally diverse
workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry;
citizenship status, marital, domestic partnership or civil union status;
gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation;
pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition; physical or psychiatric
disability; veteran or military status; domestic violence victim status;
genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any
other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.