Who we are:
Pixel Union and Out of the Sandbox are leading designers of premium themes and apps for the Shopify eCommerce platform. We're focused on helping our merchants — entrepreneurs, innovators, brands, and businesses large and small — succeed by providing them with the world's best digital products, backed by exceptional customer support.
We are a team of 90+ across all departments, with headquarters in Victoria, BC, and remote team members distributed across Canada and beyond.
About the role:
As the Lead Designer for Pixel Union Agency, you'll be a part of the leadership team helping to set the direction of the Agency. You'll be responsible for producing high-quality design deliverables for our client's projects. Your responsibilities also include leading a team of designers, developing their skills, and ensuring we maintain our reputation as delivering exceptional design aesthetics that wow our clients.
Reporting to the Agency General Manager, you'll work collaboratively with Sales, Product/Project Management, Developers, and QA to deliver the best possible experience for our clients. You'll contribute to uncovering our prospect/client needs, tap into your deep knowledge of what's achievable on the Shopify platform, keep up to date on UX/UI trends and embrace new technology options. You'll use your experience to lead our team of designers to produce best in class sites that showcase our clients’ products and services.
You'll be part of a close team that sees strong communication, exploration, and collaboration as fundamental to its success.
You'll be responsible for...
- Leading design initiatives; creating sketches, wireframes, mockups, and interactive prototypes as appropriate.
- Collaborating with the Agency team to deliver client-defined project scopes. Voicing design needs to our team and our clients to ensure that we keep the high design standards on all of our projects.
- Participating in the client-facing presentation of design: pitches, project reports, critiques.
- Producing high-quality design deliverables for client projects that meet or exceed industry standards and best practices.
- Mentoring and supporting your direct reports by advocating for UX best practices, accessibility, and design standards.
- Reviewing the design of ongoing development, providing feedback and guidance to the development team to help achieve our high standards for quality.
- Evaluating and identifying opportunities for improvement in how we approach design in Agency.
- 5+ years of experience producing designs for websites and apps for both desktop and mobile devices, preferably in the eCommerce space.
- Experience leading, coaching, mentoring, and developing team members for career growth
- Experience communicating opinions and perspectives on suggested improvements in a team context, advocating for the best solution and reasoning behind it.
- Experience with Figma and InVision or similar design tools.
- Basic understanding of and experience with HTML5/CSS3/JS. We don't expect you to code, but we expect you to know enough to understand how your designs will be translated to the web.
- Experience producing high-quality wireframes, mockups, prototypes and developing priority guides a plus.
- Experience designing in a collaborative setting, gathering input and feedback from a diverse set of sources and helping everyone feel included in the process.
- Strong communication skills, able to explain the reasoning behind designing decisions, educating others in the process
- Basic understanding of user experience workflows, how to implement them, and why they are used.
- Detail-orientation and a high standard for quality in the finished product with a good understanding of colour science and combinations
If you have these skills, that's a huge plus!
- Brand Development
- Experience producing high-quality wireframes, mockups, prototypes and developing priority guides
- Interviewing and testing designs with users
- Facilitating collaborative design exercises, leveraging the knowledge of a diverse set of stakeholders
- Familiarity with designing to meet accessibility and usability requirements
Please include a cover letter and portfolio with your application – we'd love to better understand your background and experiences. We value diverse perspectives and believe that skills are transferable!