Dean/Vice President of Safety, Health and Well-Being
Reports to: SIT President
Salary Range: $98,400 – $135,300 (Geographic pay differentials applied to pay ranges)
Priority Application Deadline: February 20, 2023
Base of designation/Remote Eligible: Vermont (Remote Eligible)
About School for International Training (SIT)
The School for International Training is a global institution offering graduate programs through SIT Graduate Institute and undergraduate study abroad programs through SIT Study Abroad. SIT was founded in the early 1960s as a training center for the first Peace Corps volunteers. For nearly 60 years, SIT has prepared students to be effective changemakers and global citizens through experiential education focused on the world's most critical global issues. SIT Study Abroad offers accredited summer and semester undergraduate programs in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East, as well as comparative programs on multiple continents. SIT Graduate Institute offers global and hybrid certificates, master's, and doctoral degrees.
School for International Training (SIT) seeks a dynamic, hands-on, innovative Dean or Vice President of Health, Safety, and Well-Being to lead its Student Health, Safety and Well-Being team. SIT is a US-accredited global university based in Brattleboro, Vermont and a world-leader in international education. It currently enrolls primarily US students on more than 170 programs in 40+ countries (including the US), offering semester long programs as part of a BA, custom programs, full MA degrees and an EdD.
The Dean/VP will provide hands-on oversight as well as vision for the health, safety and well-being of all SIT’s global undergraduate and graduate students (including custom, where needed) in the following areas: student safety, security, and risk; health and well-being (including counseling services); DEIA+ (including identity issues); Title IX; relevant shared responsibilities (including homestays, insurance etc), and oversight of team members working on student residencies, commencement, governance and conduct. The Dean/VIP will lead from the front and with our global faculty and staff to ensure that SIT provides a diverse, safe, supportive, and inclusive environment for all its students wherever they study. They will also ensure that student and homestay coordinators worldwide have the skills and tools to do their job, and the appropriate support and leadership.
The Dean/VP will work with internal and external stakeholders, including providing guidance, training, and leadership to the central team; training, leadership, and support to SIT learning center faculty and staff in 40+ countries; and interfacing with partner universities, students, and parents. The Dean/VP will be a member of SIT’s highly engaged senior leadership team who live and work globally as part of SIT’s progressive vision of a global university. The Dean/VP will have the clear goal of ensuring that SIT is the international education leader in student health, safety and well-being.
- Using a student-centered approach, provide innovative leadership and daily management of all aspects of student affairs, crisis and risk management, and provision of student services globally, in alignment with SIT’s institutional values, ethos, and standards of conduct;
- Directly supervise the SHSW central team, and oversee (with a dotted line) the global student and homestay coordinator group;
- Establish and implement short- and long-range department goals, objectives, policies, budgets and operating procedures within the framework of SIT’s Strategy 2022-2026 and Vision 2032;
- Implement SIT’s DEIA+ plan as it relates to Student Health, Safety and Well-Being; extend the DEIA+ plan in the future to support ever more diverse and inclusive student services; ensure that DEIA+ thinking is a day-to-day dynamic in our student support; and build assessment and a cycle of continuous improvement into our DEIA+ work
- Build a team of student service professionals globally: engaging with student and homestay coordinators across SIT Learning Centers to train, guide, troubleshoot and revise policy and procedures proactively for best practice; engage with student service and study abroad professionals at partner institutions to ensure a model of collaboration and teamwork when working with students on dual enrollment
- Ensure that SIT provides leadership to the international education sector in the field of Student Health Safety and Well-Being by furthering and promulgating best practice in all relevant areas, including through active engagement with relevant peer professional organizations (e.g. PULSE, Forum and OSAC).
- Supervise and coordinate on-campus residential activities and commencement;
- Support and ensure valid engaged student governance
- Guide SIT faculty and staff across the world in their understanding of SIT’s graduate and undergraduate student body and their changing needs;
- Communicate with partner and sending universities’ study abroad and risk management offices on critical student issues and incidents;
- Participate in on-call duty system for worldwide student emergency response;
- Oversee the student conduct system, grievance and appeals processes;
- Deliver on-site and remote training for partners and orientation sessions/programs to students;
- Represent student affairs on various internal committees;
- Perform other related duties or special projects as assigned
- Master’s degree;
- 10+ years of experience in student affairs or student affairs-adjacent work;
- A strong track-record of success in three or more of the following areas of student affairs management (health and counseling, risk and safety, homestay coordination, DEIA+ services for students, support for students overseas, staff/faculty training for student support; student conduct and grievance; emergency response; Title IX; student activities/residential life/student governance);
- A strong track-record of commitment to DEIA+ services and engagement, including the ability to work with a diverse student body and to understand and support different student needs including those of first generation and non-traditional students, international students, veterans, and low-income families
- A proven-innovative mindset to support SIT’s ambitious strategic goals
- Ability to effectively lead staff from the front while encouraging strong collaboration and teamwork
- Excellent communication skills, written, verbal and intercultural, including strong interpersonal and public relations skills required to interact continually with students, parents, global faculty and staff, department administrators, and to represent the university professionally
- Evidence of strong organizational and analytical skills: the ability to plan and prioritize multiple projects, to troubleshoot and solve difficult problems, to think systemically to create effective processes and procedures, to analyze situations and apply student-centered solutions in a complex environment
- Ability to work with executive leadership and as a contributing member of a hands-on senior leadership team
- Flexibility to travel
- Experience with international/study abroad programs
- Experience working with a dispersed group of faculty, staff and students
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information of three (3) professional references. Posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Vaccination is required for all employees in our U.S. offices except for those receiving medical or religious exemptions. If boosters are subsequently recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) then employees and faculty will be required to receive the booster within thirty (30) days of their eligibility.
THE WORLD LEARNING INC. FAMILY
For more than 90 years, World Learning Inc. is a thriving global organization made up of The Experiment in International Living, the nation’s most experienced provider of international education through exchanges for high school students; School for International Training, offering accredited undergraduate study abroad programs through SIT Study Abroad and internationally focused master’s degrees through SIT Graduate Institute; and World Learning, a global development and exchange nonprofit organization.
World Learning | worldlearning.org
World Learning has worked to create a more sustainable, peaceful, and just world. World Learning’s education, development, and exchange programs help people find their voices, connect with their communities, strengthen the institutions that form the backbone of a democratic society, and build relationships across cultures. With World Learning’s support, these emerging leaders tackle critical global issues like poverty, conflict, and inequality.
The Experiment in International Living | experiment.org
The Experiment in International Living is the nation’s most experienced provider of international education through exchanges for high school students. For more than 90 years, The Experiment has empowered young people to step off the beaten path, experience the world as a classroom, immerse themselves fully in another culture, and build the knowledge and skills needed to confront critical global issues.
SIT | sit.edu
School for International Training (SIT) was founded in the early 1960s as a training center for the first Peace Corps volunteers. For nearly 60 years, SIT has prepared students to be effective changemakers and global citizens through experiential education focused on the world's most critical global issues. SIT Study Abroad offers accredited summer and semester undergraduate programs in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East, as well as comparative programs on multiple continents. SIT Graduate Institute offers global and hybrid certificates, master's, and doctoral degrees.
An organizational commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access.
We are a globally diverse community of staff, faculty, board members, alumni, students, and participants who believe that inclusive and equitable practices are at the heart of a peaceful and just world. Each of us strives to honor diverse voices and lived experiences, examine our own biases and privileges, actively work to address inequities in our structures, and foster a community of open dialogue. We are committed to acting with accountability, transparency, reciprocity, authenticity, and empathy.
World Learning is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action/veterans/ADA employer, committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce.