Our mission is to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency so that you and the rest of the world can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. Founded in 2011 and with over 4 million clients, Kraken is one of the world's largest, most successful bitcoin exchanges and we're growing faster than ever. Our range of successful products are playing an important role in the mainstream adoption of crypto assets. We attract people who constantly push themselves to think differently and chart exciting new paths in a rapidly growing industry. Kraken is a diverse group of dreamers and doers who see value in being radically transparent. Let's change the way the world thinks about money! Join the revolution!
As a Tax Manager you will be an integral part of our Global Tax team. You will partner closely with the Head of Global Tax on various day-to-day and strategic initiatives. You will also partner closely with other members of our finance team and business units, while leading efforts in tax processes and various special projects. This is an exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of an industry with untapped potential and evolving tax rules around the globe.
- Prepare or Detail Review of U.S. federal, state and local income/franchise tax returns, and related estimates and extensions
- Detail Review local country returns
- Prepare or detail review quarterly and annual tax provision according to ASC 740, including FIN48 computation
- Support continuous improvements in tax provision processes by exercising out of the box thinking to optimize efficiency, including collaboration with other finance groups
- Computation of book tax differences, supporting workpapers, account reconciliations and documentation
- Perform research to support tax compliance, accounting and planning including domestic and non-domestic income taxes, information reporting and indirect taxes
- Review and assist with preparation of tax accruals, budgets and forecasts
- Review analysis and reconciliations of general ledger accounts (tax)
- Ensure appropriate documentation and internal controls are maintained
- Recommend and implement process improvements
- Provide support for external financial statement audits & income tax audits (when applicable)
- Maintain tax calendar
- Other duties and special projects as assigned, e.g., assist in developing the company international tax strategies; support and document R&D studies and other incentives in US and foreign jurisdictions; Research and analyze tax guidance on cryptocurrencies in the relevant jurisdictions; drafting tax memoranda to document our positions
- BA/BS in Accounting, Finance or related field
- CPA certification or equivalent preferred
- Minimum 5 years of corporate tax provision and compliance experience with public accounting
- firm and/or corporate tax department
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact with all levels of management
- A strong ability to work in a team environment and willing to “roll up your sleeves”
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to interact professionally with all levels of the organization
- Motivated and able to work independently while managing multiple tasks.
- Able to effectively manage multiple projects and competing priorities simultaneously
- A strong ability to work in a team environment and willing to “roll up your sleeves“
- Analytical and enjoy solving problems
- Detail-oriented and able to see “the Big Picture”
- Excellent customer service skills with a positive attitude
- Possess a solid understanding and working knowledge of ASC 740 principles, as well as general federal, state and international tax concepts
- Exhibit strong analytical thinking, ability to work in a fast-paced environment with excellent prioritization and organizational skill
- Solid Excel skills
- Bay Area would be ideal but possible remote for strong candidate
- Reports to Head of Global Tax
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique backgrounds and experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives.
Check out all our open roles at We’re excited to see what you’re made of.
Learn more about us:
Watch “Working at Kraken“
Follow us on Twitter
Catch up on our blog