Your true calling is leading and directing a team of tacticians across a nationwide map of multiple campaigns and issues. You are excellent at developing and managing relationships and are a creative, adept, and proactive problem-solver. You know how to look at the big picture and cut through the noise to effortlessly prioritize what needs to get done now to stay three steps ahead. You seamlessly move from task to task and issue to issue, working under tight deadlines in a dynamic environment. You are an exceptional people manager and communicator, and you know how to empower your direct reports to achieve greatness, but you’re also not afraid to move mountains to win. You’re passionate about the democracy movement and committed to the fight for an America that works for everyone, not just the powerful and well-connected.
About the Position
The Managing Director is a senior leadership position within RepresentUs’s Campaign Accelerator — a nationwide program to supercharge the nonpartisan political reform movement by providing multi-state, multi-issue (including redistricting, money in politics, voting systems, voting access, ballot access, ethics) assistance, assets, and services to the most promising reform campaigns across the country.
This position requires strong management, leadership, facilitation, and coaching skills to persuade and inspire both direct reports and the Executive team. Importantly, it requires knowing how to manage an accountability structure that ultimately empowers highly-experienced direct reports to achieve their goals for specific campaigns.
Working closely with the Executive Director, Vice President of Policy & Campaigns, Political Director, and Senior Counsel, the Managing Director will:
- Lead a team of Campaign Directors and specialists in day-to-day strategy and operations.
- Drive strategic planning discussions to assess and advance national, state, and local strategy.
- Liaise with department heads and vendors to build efficient and effective teams to service campaigns.
- Develop and approve campaign plans and budgets to ensure effective coordination of national, state, and local activity on key democracy issues.
- Control and manage workflow and quality control.
- Recruit and oversee staff, consultants, and vendors.
Skills and Experience
- At least 3 years of experience and a winning track record in political and/or advocacy campaign management. Experience working on ballot initiatives is highly preferred.
- At least 5 years of complex management experience, including virtual management.
- Experience designing, maintaining, and improving a goal-oriented accountability structure without compromising staff autonomy or innovation.
- Experience recruiting, managing, and training high-performing staffers, promoting autonomy and innovation.
- Exceptional interpersonal, leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Highly developed strategic thinking and execution skills; ability to achieve excellence and meet goals within a complex and sophisticated landscape.
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and “roll‐up‐my‐sleeves” attitude. Comfort with constantly shifting political situations and the need to stay nimble and adaptive.
- Ability to resolve conflicts and diffuse employee related concerns, issues, and situations.
- Ability to travel on behalf of the organization throughout the country as needed.
- Experience with complex budget creation and management is preferred.
- This is a remote position, and candidates must have consistent access to reliable internet and phone.
Compensation and Benefits
We are committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health (Harvard Pilgrim HMO or UnitedHealthcare PPO network) and dental insurance (Delta Dental), both with family/spouse/domestic partner options, retirement benefits, a health reimbursement account, a dependent care account, short-term disability insurance, a wellness benefit, a $1,500 annual professional development stipend, and four weeks paid vacation, plus personal and sick time.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and ranges between $110,000 and $130,000 per year.
This position is virtual, but to facilitate collaboration preference may be given to applicants in the Washington, DC, New York, NY, Philadelphia, PA, and Northampton, MA areas, as well as to those willing to operate in Eastern or Central time.
RepresentUs is the nation’s leading right-left anti-corruption organization. We bring together conservatives, progressives, and everyone in between to secure crucial victories that are defending our Republic and fixing America’s corrupt political system.
But what it means for you, potential coworker, is that you feel what we feel when you wake up every day: a strong sense of purpose that binds you to the spirit of this nation, and an overwhelming sense that you should do something about it. And you want to work with people who feel the same.
RepresentUs is a carefully curated mix of seasoned political campaigners, policy wonks, advertising experts, designers, and engineers. We’re not a startup, but we’ve got startup DNA: we’re nimble, constantly learning and iterating, and we push ourselves to push the envelope—to ignore “industry standards” and set a new standard.
We’re looking for enthusiastic new minds to help us grow, move faster, and achieve more. We believe our political system should reflect the varied voices of our nation, and so should our team. That’s why we’re an Equal Opportunity Employer; people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
In 2018, we helped pass 23 anti-corruption measures—a historic year for the movement.