Requisition Number: INTER04278
Edmentum is committed to making it easier for educators to individualize learning for every student through simple technology, high-quality content, actionable data, and customer success. Founded in innovation, Edmentum’s powerful learning solutions blend technology with individual teaching approaches. We are dedicated to being educators' most trusted partner in creating successful student outcomes everywhere learning occurs. Our commitment is built off the emphasis we place on our core values: passion, people, respect, collaboration, and performance.
At Edmentum, we are committed to building research-based curriculum and assessment solutions that empower educators and improve student outcomes across the globe. The Edmentum Research and Learning Engineering Team is central to fulfilling our commitment to our national and international educators and learners. Each member of our team must be curious, collaborative, and have a passion to conduct best-in-class research to develop and provide evidence of valid, useful educational solutions that truly meet the needs of learners and educators.
The Research Intern will contribute to the process of applying learning sciences to Edmentum’s learning platforms with human-centered engineering design methods and data-informed decision making to support learners and their development. The Research Intern will explore methods for integrating social and emotional learning (SEL) content into a hybrid instructional and assessment system for the purpose of increasing learner engagement in the system.
This position will entail close collaboration with colleagues in Research, Learning Design, and Content Development to execute upon Edmentum’s mission of creating successful student outcomes everywhere learning occurs.
The Research Intern optimally has training in human-computer interaction, machine learning, and natural language processing. Exposure to theories of social and emotional development are a plus, although not required as the intern will have the opportunity to work closely with subject matter experts in these areas.
Here's what you'll do:
- Collaborate with intern supervisor to identify candidate methods for integrating SEL content into an adaptive learning system
- Consult with SEL subject matter expert on design, user experience, and intended outcomes of candidate methods
- Complete Edmentum training sessions on SEL and Whole Learner pedagogy
- Develop and test proof of concept for at least one method
- Present findings to research team and other stakeholders
- (Optionally) submit proposal to present results at a professional conference
Here's what you'll need:
- Pursuing a graduate degree in a technical field (Computer Science, HCI, Engineering Psychology, Applied Linguistics, or related program)
- At least 2 years of experience in Python
- Experience using machine learning libraries such as TensorFlow and Keras
- Experience using natural language processing libraries such as spaCy and NLTK
- Knowledge of research methods, statistics, and experimental design
- Experience using machine learning and natural language processing algorithms to solve business problems
- Experience using code quality tools such as version control, unit testing frameworks, and integrated development environments (IDEs) preferred
- Experience with cloud infrastructure such as AWS preferred
- Familiarity with educational technology and current trends in education preferred
- Passion for improving learner experiences and outcomes
Edmentum is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.