Firefox Staff Privacy Engineer
Are you passionate about Firefox and the open Web? Do you want to ship software to a massive user base? Do you want your contributions to have a positive impact on the world? Do you want the Web to be more private by bringing state of the art privacy features to everyone?
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and restricted. We are looking for a Staff Privacy Engineer to research and develop our next generation of privacy enhancements for Firefox.
In this role, you will
- Develop cutting edge privacy features with world class engineering and cross-functional teams to protect the privacy of millions of Firefox users.
- Develop a good understanding of the core web technologies like the same origin policy and storage access policies.
- Develop a good understanding of the technologies used to track users online like browser fingerprinting, cookie synchronization, and persistent tracking techniques.
- Gain experience auditing the privacy practices of websites.
Your weekly job responsibilities
- Attend video conference team meetings to share ongoing progress and have design and architectural discussions with other team members.
- Coordinate the software development work with colleagues across the organization (product management, marketing, data science, and senior leadership).
- Monitor and resolve user reports related to privacy features in Firefox.
- Occasionally participate in design discussions focused on solving new problems (as needed).
- Keep yourself updated with the recent developments in the field, with the help of your colleagues.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Feel good about your work again
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto and Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
Wellness programs—we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment