Company: Root is a car insurance company founded on the simple idea that people who drive well are less likely to get in accidents, and that means they should pay less for insurance. With a small initial venture capital investment, Root was faced with the challenge of building the entirety of the technology necessary to run a car insurance carrier from scratch. Through applying techniques to gain significant engineering leverage in the short-term without compromising long-term velocity, the engineering team at Root was able to deliver successfully, creating one of the fastest venture-backed companies to ever reach a billion dollar valuation.
Progress: We’ve been in business now for four years. In those four years, we have become the fastest growing auto insurance company, on a % growth in premium basis. Our most recent round of funding valued us at $3.65B and brought our total VC funding to $523M. In the last year and a half, we have grown our team from 60 to 700.
Embrace the love of the problem.
Question the norm.
Tackle the tough challenges head-on.
Have the uncomfortable conversations.
Ask forgiveness rather than permission. Judge on the merits of work.
Celebrate ambitious teamwork.
Lead with empathy.
Filter the temptation to do the obvious.
Invest, don’t spend.
Empower the customer to solve.
Culture: Root has been rapidly growing for the last few years. Our early signs of success are in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building it. We look for passionate problem solvers who can find solutions by moving through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity and rigor. We work together as one team and expect every team member to lead with empathy and courage.
Position: Root is looking for a government affairs leader with a strong background of working with elected and appointed officials to proactively attain support. As a Director, you’ll work cross-functionally across the business to develop Root’s strategic position on multi-state regulatory, legislative, government, and business matters while keeping the business and stakeholders informed of the changing landscape. We’re searching for someone who has relevant government, political, campaigns or public advocacy experience. The right person will have a proven track record of working with a variety of diverse stakeholders to build relationships, attain support and solve complex problems. Relocation is not required.
Reports to: Director of Government Affairs
- Works closely with the legal, business development and finance teams and other key business partners to develop Root’s positions on multi-state regulatory, legislative and general government matters and business-related opportunities. Keep colleagues regularly informed of developments in legislative, regulatory and other government arenas.
- Assists in the establishment of corporate strategies, policies and plans, which align with government laws, regulations and standards.
- Works with various members of the legal team and other business partners to identify issues impacting the company, coordinate company input into developing policy, assist in developing regulatory priorities and identify additional business opportunities that involve government or government approval.
- Works with business and company leaders in engagement activities, helping to keep individuals informed and properly connected to company priorities.
- Develops grassroots advocacy capacity for company employees and customers to support policy and business priorities.
- Develops the company’s key elected and appointed official relationships, including insurance regulators.
- Manages outside counsel, consultants or lobbyists as necessary.
- Responds to and monitors resolution of escalated complaints from local, state or federal government authorities.
- Becomes familiar with and involved in the legislative and regulatory activities of the company’s federal and state trade associations.
- Works with associations to advocate the company’s legislative and regulatory positions with regulators, legislators and other policymakers.
- Minimum 7+ years of relevant government, political, campaigns or public advocacy experience
- Knowledge of the insurance regulations or laws or demonstrated ability to learn them quickly
- A track record of working with elected and appointed officials to proactively attain support for policy, political or business priorities
- Ability to find and utilize technological advancements to coordinate the efforts of diverse stakeholders to support policy, political or business priorities
- Self-starter skills, including a career path exemplified by taking on more diverse and sophisticated problem-solving tasks over time
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams of various sizes, manage a variety of sometimes unrelated tasks and projects, and to work with business partners to meet their timelines and expectations