Do you want to be part of an exciting company dedicated to solving the greatest challenge humanity faces? Then Impossible Foods is the place for you.
Impossible Foods was founded in 2011 to create a truly sustainable global food system by inventing an efficient, sustainable way to transform plants into irresistibly delicious, nutritious food -- food that delivers all the pleasures and nutritional benefits consumers demand, without the destructive environmental impact. Our first product, the Impossible Burger, was introduced by top chefs to the world and is currently available at over 16,000 restaurants across the United States and abroad.
Impossible Foods is looking for a creative, motivated and mission-aligned person to join the Materials & Texture team. The overarching goal of the group is to create an arsenal of plant-based materials that enable the re-creation of any animal-based food products. We are looking for people who can bring established expertise, analytical thinking, creative ideas, and proven experimental skills to help us make daily progress towards that goal.
The primary responsibility for this role is planning and conducting experiments within broader efforts focused on food materials: How do we make them? How do we understand them? How do we characterize them? How do we achieve texture targets? We are looking for a person with experience in biological materials research (does not need to be in meat or meat analogues space), and with demonstrated ability to design and perform experimental work. An ideal candidate would have knowledge of protein and other biopolymer properties, chemistry, and interactions. She/he also needs to possess fundamental knowledge of chemistry and experience with chemical laboratory techniques, as well as a working knowledge of materials characterization methods. She/he will execute research projects relying on a broad range of experimental approaches: sensory studies including both consumer-style panels and trained panelists, quantitative measurements of mechanical and thermal properties of food materials (using texture analyzers, rheometers, differential scanning calorimetry etc.) and bench-scale food prototyping. As a Senior Research Associate, she/he will collaborate with other RA’s, supervise technicians, as well as participate in and contribute to scientific discussions and experimental planning. She/he will achieve answers to experimental questions posed by scientists in the group, and as needed, those in other research and engineering groups. We are looking for a person who can independently overcome daily experimental challenges, propose next steps, and proactively advance the project they are assigned. The candidate is expected to grow as a scientist, with the goal of eventually leading research within the company.
- Participate in research in the area of food texture.
- Adapt methods from literature, and help discover new approaches in food materials formation, processing and modification, with a particular focus on biopolymer materials.
- Master existing research methodology in instrumental and sensory texture research.
- Perform standard mechanical and rheological measurements exploring texture-related properties of food, and optimize novel modes of measurements that give additional or more complete insights into food texture.
- Design and execute experiments in the context of a larger project.
- Analyze data and present conclusions to the broader group.
- Actively participate in creating new material and food prototypes.
- Degree in Food Science, Biology, Biochemistry, Material Science, Physics, Chemistry, or other related field.
- 4+ years of hands-on experience in materials, chemistry, or food science research.
- Strong ability to learn new concepts and work in a highly dynamic environment is mandatory
- Demonstrated ability to overcome experimental challenges, and achieve the answers to posed questions.
- Experience supervising students, technicians and/or research associates is a plus.
Impossible Foods Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics