Flipboard is a content discovery platform for your passions, interests, and news. Available on web, iOS, and Android, Flipboard offers the world important and influential articles shared by the greatest publishers and our awesome Flipboard community to advance conversation, keep people informed, and inspire them to engage, learn, and lead.
Flipboard is looking for a senior-level generalist with a wide-range of corporate experience and a deep understanding of intellectual property matters to lead our Legal team. A successful candidate will be able to partner with leads across the business to advance a range of initiatives.
- Lead legal strategy and infrastructure to support strategic growth
- Advise on a wide variety of subject matters including intellectual property, intermediary liability, privacy and data protection compliance, content licensing and syndication, community support, labor and employment, corporate governance, pre-litigation and litigation, etc.
- In close collaboration with business leads, draft, negotiate and execute a broad spectrum of commercial agreements, including large-scale partnerships, with Flipboard’s content, advertising and distribution partners
- Partner with and provide counseling to the Product, Design, Engineering, and Marketing teams to support product innovations that maintain compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Research and help implement policies and practices relating to, e.g., user privacy, data handling, international growth, etc.
- Manage and continue to develop Flipboard’s patent and trademark portfolios
- Support intellectual property registration and enforcement efforts, often in collaboration with outside counsel
- Oversee the administration of the company’s equity incentive program
- Manage longtime relationships with outside counsel, engage outside counsel in a strategic manner, and manage all legal work product
Preferred Skills & Experience
- 7+ years of legal experience, ideally with a combination of law firm training and at least one in-house role at a digital media/technology company
- Demonstrated experience advising on intellectual property matters, especially in an in-house environment, with good familiarity of DMCA, CDA and related doctrine
- Expertise in drafting and negotiating a broad spectrum of commercial agreements by and between digital media companies
- Familiarity with corporate legal work for start-ups and/or late-stage private companies
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills
- Sharp, strategic thinker with the ability to adapt to a variety of internal and external scenarios and contexts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively with little supervision in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Enthusiastic about Flipboard and the prospect of joining the world-class team behind a transformative platform
- JD with a license to practice law in California; MBA a plus
Benefits & Perks
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with a company match
- Flexible hours and generous 'out of office time' for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Subsidized commuter programs
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced CEO, Mike McCue, the Flipboard team is a positive, respectful, and diverse group of bright and highly capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. The Flipboard team is headquartered in downtown Redwood City, CA in the beautiful SF Bay Area. Although our roots lie in the Silicon Valley, our team extends around the world: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, and London.
- Our culture: We value an environment and culture that encourages people's voices and perspectives to be heard. We believe that leveraging our team will lead us to create better products and services for all our users and partners.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from millions of sources around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform