Do you want to be part of an exciting company dedicated to solving the greatest challenge humanity faces? Then Impossible Foods is the place for you.
Impossible Foods was founded in 2011 to create a truly sustainable global food system by inventing an efficient, sustainable way to transform plants into irresistibly delicious, nutritious food -- food that delivers all the pleasures and nutritional benefits consumers demand, without the destructive environmental impact. Our first product, the Impossible Burger, was introduced by top chefs to the world and is currently available at over 16,000 restaurants across the United States and abroad.
Impossible Foods is looking for an experienced, motivated and mission-aligned person to join the Materials & Texture team. The overarching goal of the group is to create an arsenal of plant-based materials that enable the re-creation of any animal-based food products. We are looking for people who can contribute highly developed experimentalist skills, analytical thinking, and creative ideation to help us make daily progress towards that goal.
The primary responsibility for this role is leading and coordinating research and development work in the area of food extrusion. We are looking for a person with a proven track record of innovation in food extrusion, deep understanding of the principles of extrusion and food texturization, and extensive hands-on experience in setting up, running and maintaining food extruders. She/he will be overseeing research programs using bench and pilot-scale extruders, contributing novel engineering solutions and implementing them at bench and pilot scale, designing and coordinating scale-up trials up to full manufacturing scale. As a group leader, she/he will be supervising several scientists, research associates, and technicians. She/he will be guiding their research, helping with experimental designs and engineering solutions, and mentoring their scientific development.
Outside of the group, she/he will be expected to establish strong cross-functional interactions, in particular with Engineering, Product development and Supply & Operations teams. We are looking for a person who can generate ideas, influence and drive them forward, rather than simply execute; someone who is a master of state-of-the-art, but can challenge existing paradigms and innovate rather than always opt for the tried-and-true.
- Lead a group of scientists, research associates and technicians working in the area of food extrusion.
- Set up, run, maintain and modify bench scale and pilot scale extruders.
- Design, coordinate and execute scale-up trials. Some travel is expected (approximately, <1 week each month).
- Push the frontier of extrusion technology for producing novel textured materials. Provide specific engineering solutions and implement these solutions with the help of the engineering team.
- Actively participate in creating new food prototypes leveraging knowledge of extrusion and food texturization.
- BS, MSc. or PhD. in Material Science, Physics, Physical Chemistry, Chemistry, Food Science or Agricultural, Biological, Chemical, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- 10+ years of hands-on experience in food extrusion, including running, operating and maintaining various types of extruders (single screw, twin screw, electric and steam-heated, low moisture and high moisture processes).
- 10+ years of hands-on experience in non-food extrusion could be acceptable, if you have 3+ years of food extrusion experience and demonstrate deep understanding of principles of food texturization.
- Extensive experience with auxiliary extrusion equipment (pre-conditioners, cutters, driers) is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to suggest novel ideas, articulate them clearly and design experiments testing these ideas.
- 5+ years of experience supervising a team of technicians and/or research associates.
Impossible Foods Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics