Do you want to be part of an exciting company dedicated to solving the greatest challenge humanity faces? Then Impossible Foods is the place for you.
Impossible Foods was founded in 2011 to create a truly sustainable global food system by inventing an efficient, sustainable way to transform plants into irresistibly delicious, nutritious food -- food that delivers all the pleasures and nutritional benefits consumers demand, without the destructive environmental impact. Our first product, the Impossible Burger, was introduced by top chefs to the world and is currently available at over 16,000 restaurants across the United States and abroad.
We’re looking for a curious, creative, and innovative scientist to join our mission-driven and diverse team in creating a secure and sustainable food system for the future.
The ideal candidate has a background in flavor chemistry/research and a passion for making the world a better place through understanding the basic chemistry of making food delicious. You would be creative, scientifically rigorous, and have a keen attention to detail. You would enjoy working as part of a team in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Design, characterize, and understand novel savory and meat flavor systems, characterize underlying chemistry and perceptual aspects of new systems
- Characterize volatile flavor compounds using Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS) and interpret analytical data for insight into reaction chemistry and sensory profiles of food
- Utilize appropriate analytical tools to understand causative chemistry for flavor outcomes
- Efficiently design, execute, and manage experiments to drive basic perceptual understanding of highly dimensional systems
- Interpret and analyze complex data streams linking formulation to end product composition and associated flavor profiles
- Partner with sensory and perception research group to interpret experimental results in the context of impactful business decisions
- Be a champion for rigorous science, and proactively educate and learn from others
- Masters or PhD degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other analytically oriented field
- Experience in graduate research or industrial settings developing meat and savory flavor systems
- 5+ years experience in using analytical chemistry to answer real world challenges
- 5+ years experience in sample preparations for food flavor characterization
- Experience in applied sensory and perception research, familiarity with signal detection theory is highly desirable
- Experience with Gas Chromatography Olfactory Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS-O) is highly desirable
- Experience in qualitative, semi-quantitative, and quantitative experiments
- Applied experience in multivariate statistics
- Experience in statistical experimental design
- A hard-working, proactive, and self-motivated personality
- Excellent analytical, statistical, data visualization, and communication skills
- Ability to thrive amidst uncertainty
- Passion for our Mission
Impossible Foods Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics