Power System Engineer
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
This is an electrical engineering position focusing on modelling, simulation, and power system analysis for the project Kuiper satellite. In this role, you will build electrical models of the satellite power system and develop capability to assess solar array power generation over vehicle operating conditions and a range of orbital parameters. You will be responsible to create and/or manage simulations that analyze vehicle power demand in different power modes and investigate trade-studies to optimize the system. You will work with large datasets to evaluate health of solar array and battery over life and track accuracy of models and performance of power system to vehicle requirements.
This is a fast-paced, intellectually challenging position, and you’ll work with thought leaders in multiple technology areas. You’ll have relentlessly high standards for yourself and everyone you work with, and you’ll be constantly looking for ways to improve your product’s performance, quality and cost. We want individuals who are ready for this challenge and want to reach beyond what is possible today.
Everyone on the team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment. We will need to tackle problems that span a variety of domains.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
· Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer science, or software engineering
· 5+ years of engineering experience in the area of electrical power systems or power electronics
· 3+ years of experience in simulation, modelling, and requirements definition for electric power system development
· 3+ years experience and working knowledge of Matlab or Python to extract, process, and store information from large datasets
· Power system design experience in the area of solar, battery, electric vehicle, drones, satellite, or rocket
· Experience developing models for solar array and battery systems
· Knowledge of orbital mechanics and coordinate transformations
· Background in control systems and/or robotics
· Experience creating and maintaining complicated simulations and managing large data sets
· Excellent skill at organizing data and communicating key requirements to teammates
· Cross-organizational communication – comfortable evangelizing ideas and concerns clearly and persuasively, in both verbal and written forms
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age / Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us