Requisition Number: STUDE01035
To assist students and prospective students with all aspects of the Student Services Center, including financial aid and student accounts office functions.
Characteristic Duties & Responsibilities:
- Process frontline student account operations. This includes issuing statements; explaining various charges and credits that appear on the student’s account; processing student payments as well as other institutional cash receipts; handling special billing arrangements with external agencies (including but not limited to the Veterans Administration and Dual Enrollment); and posting adjustments to student accounts.
- Interview and counsel prospective and returning students to assess their financial needs and provide them with a wide range of information, advice and assistance regarding financial aid options, application procedures, planning and regulations; respond to questions concerning federal aid.
- Assist and train students in the use of online student account and financial aid services.
- Explain and set up deferred payment plans, verifying timely payments, and notifying senior staff of delinquencies.
- Manage the reconciliation of a daily cash drawer.
- Analyze student accounts and verify financial clearance for pre-registration, registration, transcript release, and graduation.
- Investigate and follow through on collection of past due accounts and counsel students on available payment options.
- Research student account problems, conferring as needed with registrar's staff, faculty, students, parents.
- Process and verify data needed to maintain accurate student files.
- Assist with weekly, monthly, semester, and year-end student accounts reconciliation, balancing and auditing.
- Confer with other administrative offices on campus for training, function operations, processing and problem solving.
- Attend training as needed to provide excellent service.
- Supervise/perform the document imaging process, ensuring timeliness and accuracy of imaged records.
- Provide back up to Accounts Payable Supervisor including coordinating/carrying out accounts payable accounting tasks: review and match up requisitions and invoices; prepare invoices for payment; enter all invoice and reimbursement amounts into computer system; check invoice edits and correct errors; print checks to pay invoices and reimbursements; prepare manual checks for urgent matters as needed; route all checks with corresponding invoices to supervisor for verification; process interdepartmental charges.
- Assist and back up other accounting staff as needed with a variety of accounting tasks, such as data entry (including student refunds), compiling data for special reports, and the like.
- Perform a variety of general clerical tasks for the accounting office, such as sorting and distributing mail, answering phones, general typing, photocopying, ordering supplies, and the like.
- Perform specialized tasks and projects as directed by supervisor.
Associate’s degree in an appropriate discipline, with a bachelor’s degree desirable, plus one to three years of relevant clerical/administrative experience, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Excellent general office and administrative skills
- Excellent reading, math and computer skills.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to maintain a complex computer database.
- Ability to understand and explain the technical regulations governing student finances and financial aid.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to deal with students, parents, college personnel, and others in a professional, courteous manner.
VSCSF Bargaining Unit Grade: 10 FLSA: Non-Exempt up to 26 hours/week
Applications will be accepted until positions are filled or by date specified. However, applications received after the initial screening will be considered at the discretion of the College. Vermont Tech strongly encourages applications from members of ethnic minority groups and other under-represented backgrounds.
Vermont Tech is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, religion, ancestry, place of birth, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age or veteran status, or against a qualified individual with a disability, or any other person whose status is protected under local, state or federal laws. In compliance with ADA requirements, we will make reasonable accommodations for the known disability of an otherwise qualified applicant.
All full-time and some part-time positions are subject to a criminal background check. Any offer of employment is conditional upon successful completion of these checks.