Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make all machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are excited about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Splunk is looking for a seasoned professional engineer to join the effort to define and build the future of Splunk. Splunk is rapidly expanding their presence in the cloud, and we are looking for engineers who are interested in being founding members of the SDLC Tooling team that defines and builds tools to optimize how Splunk services are deployed to the public cloud. This is a great opportunity to both lead and to learn.
We give our engineers an environment in which they can get involved from day one --you'll learn how our stack works: from data ingestion and storage to searching, reporting and building dashboards – all in distributed environments. The work you’ll do will directly impact the experience of our customers.
We are an engineering- and product-focused company. Our engineers take a leading role in designing, architecting, building and testing our product. Engineers at Splunk have a wide impact, leading to a sense of professional fulfillment.
What We Provide
- Opportunities to develop and grow as an engineer. We are at the forefront of our industry, always expanding into new areas, and working with open source & new technologies.
- A set of talented and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support.
- Breadth and depth. You may be diving deep into CI/CD tools and best practices, but you’ll have the freedom to work on other areas you are passionate about.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- An open, collaborative and supportive work environment. We work in an open environment, have a shared kitchen and sit down for a quick sync every morning.
- Balance. We don't expect people to work 12 hour days. We want you to have a successful time outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and commitment, and believe that balance helps cultivate a positive environment.
What You'll Do
- Assist in building and deploying cloud-native applications/services. You will develop CI/CD systems integrating terraform, vault, kubernetes, AWS, and possibly CI/CD pipeline tools such as Jenkins, Gitlab, Spinnaker, Artifactory.
- Own and lead Platform Monitoring. You will develop and advocate for shared libraries that provide monitors and health checks for services. You will lead the integration of synthetic monitoring/health checks into deployment logic, helping with the development of automatic rollbacks based upon this information.
- Drive Performance Engineering. You will work across service teams and with the infrastructure team to build metrics around tenant growth, to provide better data for capacity planning and management. Furthermore, you will drive for improvement in performance validation of services prior to prod rollout to ensure we continue to meet business needs and SLO/SLAs.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams working on sophisticated technical projects. As a Principal Engineer, you’ll help other engineers design systems, scope and decompose projects, manage technical debt and risk, promote best practices, and mentor others on the team.
- Drive to Make a Difference. With great power comes great responsibility. This role will allow you to define how Splunk scales cloud services seamlessly across multiple regions and even clouds. You will have to architect our solution with state of the art tooling, drive for technical buy in and adoption across the service and infrastructure teams, and keep it all running smoothly. It’s an opportunity to be a hero, but even Hercules had to earn it.
- Passion. Our customers are passionate about Splunk, and we want the same from our engineers. You actively own your work and be excited about your projects.
- Requires a minimum of 12 years of related experience with a technical Bachelor’s degree; or equivalent practical experience; or 6 years and a technical Master’s degree; or a Ph.D. with 5 years experience; or equivalent practical experience
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.