Title: Certified Medical Assistant
Location: Raleigh Health Center
Department: Medical Support
Supervisor: Site Manager
Status: Non-exempt full-time
The Certified Medical Assistant helps providers with the delivery of patient care, providing basic triage and helping to ensure optimum patient-to-doctor flow. The Certified Medical Assistant provides administrative support as well as clinical support.
- Reviews and prepares medical record to ensure completeness prior to patient exam, obtaining missing documentation. Documents clinic visit, observations, and related activities. Files charts.
- Assists with initiation of patient history and physical assessment. Assists nurses and physicians with physical exams and simple in-house surgical and therapeutic procedures.
- Checks patient vital signs and takes body measurements, documenting results in patient chart.
- Prepares and maintains exam and treatment rooms, cleaning after patient discharges to ensure a clean and sanitized environment. Maintains supplies inventory and ensures patient care equipment is clean and properly functioning, reporting defective equipment and supplies to supervisor.
- Collects specimens and prepares them for outside lab, communicating with lab for STAT pickups or testing. Performs simple STAT lab tests and performs urinalysis on urine specimens. Prepares lab results for physician to sign.
- Administers breathing treatments and injections, performs EKGs, and tests pregnant patients on NST machine per provider orders.
- Answers phone calls, relaying patient requests and questions to appropriate individuals. Explains provider instructions to patient, as appropriate. Provides teaching to patients and families within scope of knowledge base.
- Assists with scheduling/referral of patients for specific treatments.
- Responds to medical emergencies and administers first aid as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent; medical assistant program graduate
Experience: ambulatory care experience preferred
Skills/abilities: bilingual preferred
Licenses/certifications: both CMA and BLS certification required
LEVEL3=requires intermittent high concentration and high attention; generally, task approach is consistent, but number of steps/variables create causes-for-error without close attention
Sitting 5%, Standing 10%, and Walking 85% of time
Lifting, pushing, or pulling 15% of time; max 65lbs of patients, supplies, and equipment
Machines/equipment (hand/eye coordination):
ECG--15% of time (high)
NST--10% of time (normal)
Audiometer--20% of time (high)
Pulse oximetry--5% of time (normal)
Nebulizer--15% of time (high)
Glucometer--5% of time (normal)
Computer--20% of time (normal)
Copier--5% of time (low)
Phone--15% of time (low)
1% of time traveling, excluding regular commute to primary location(s)
Frequent exposure to infectious agents; universal precautions required; risk of ergonomic injury from lifting and transferring of patients, supplies, and equipment