Requisition No: 207203
Agency: Department of Health
Working Title: SENIOR COMMUNITY HEALTH NURSE - 64051236
Position Number: 64051236
Salary: $31,190.64 - $50,000.00
Posting Closing Date: 08/10/2020
- All applications for employment must be received via the People First System.
- All responses provided to the qualifying questions for this vacancy advertisement must be verifiable on your State of Florida, Employment Application.
- Salary will be determined in accordance with current pay policy. Employees are normally hired at the minimum of the salary range.
This is public health nursing work in a specialized area requiring training beyond that required to be licensed as a Registered Professional Nurse, or public health nursing work in one of the following areas: (1) performing generalized public health work in an area geographically removed from direct supervision; (2) serving as a team leader; (3) managing a clinic; (4) managing a caseload of patients with acute or chronic medical problems; or (5) serving as a p Conducts a total generalized public health nursing program in an area geographically removed from direct supervision.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position is under the direct supervision of the Senior Community Health Nursing Director. Incumbent is required to work during or beyond normal work hours or days in the event of an emergency. Emergency operation functions required of the incumbent include, but are not limited to, Special Needs Shelters, Red Cross Shelters, or other emergency functions, including but not limited responses to bioterrorism or threats of bioterrorism. The incumbent has access to the follow sets of confidential information: CHD client medical record, Health Clinic Management System.
Supervises and monitors nursing practices of the immunization program to ensure high quality of professional services and maintenance of agency standards. Serves as the Back-up coordinator for the Gadsden County FDOH Vaccine For Children program. Monitors the vaccine inventory by conducting routine weekly and monthly inventory counts, ordering vaccines in a timely manner, keeping daily refrigerator logs, administering vaccine to both children and adults, and making sure the vaccine monitoring system is in good working order. Monitors and case manages the FDOH Gadsden immunization report and helps to ensure clients have completed immunizations based on the 4:3:1:3:3:1:4 schedule by the age of 2 years old and strive to maintain at least 95% of clientele are complete. Educates employees on proper handling of vaccines. Attends meetings, conferences, workshops, and in-service programs pertinent to immunizations to update.
Assist the APRN with case managing the PAP follow-up, provide case management with initial contacts, reminders and coordination of care for those receiving colposcopy and biopsy. Manages any medications in the drug room, maintaining adequate inventory and working with appropriate clinic staff for ordering medications as needed through the PFS system. Keeps drug room organized and ensures monthly pharmacy inventory is conducted by utilizing and completing the PFS reconciliation report. Will order supplies through MFMP and reconcile payments through the WORKS online system and maintain state Purchasing card. Coordinate annual equipment calibration and maintenance for clinic equipment.
Will be trained as an active Epidemiology nurse to assist with reporting communicable disease conditions to the state health office Bureau of Epidemiology through direct phone reporting, Merlin case data entry, case investigations, and patient interviews. Will assist with annual mandatory flu report and surveillance.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in nursing or a related field and one year of professional nursing experience in pediatrics, geriatrics, or public health nursing, and licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse in accordance with Florida Statute 464 or eligible to practice nursing in accordance with Florida Administrative Code 210-8.27; or
- One year of experience as a community health nurse with the State of Florida.
- A master's degree from an accredited college or university in nursing, nursing education, public health, or a related field can substitute for the required professional nursing experience.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Organizes, implements, and conducts a specific phase of a large public health nursing program for a county health department.
- Coordinates, on a regional basis, the provision of health care for developmentally disabled clients in the community.
- Advises on care and management of illness and refers patients with abnormal findings to pediatricians or other qualified physicians.
- Assists in planning and conducting orientation programs, continuous in-service educational programs, and professional educational programs for paramedical personnel, auxiliary workers, and volunteers.
- Demonstrates special nursing procedures and techniques applicable in a variety of medical specialties and teaches the purpose, use, care, and results of utilizing special equipment in the treatment of patients.
- Interviews and counsels parents on child rearing, growth and development, and nutrition.
- Performs advanced and extended public health nursing functions in specialized areas such as family planning, maternal health, pediatrics, or geriatrics.
- Provides public health nursing services, and practices handicapped children's nursing principles in clinics, schools, and homes.
receptor for nursing trainees or students
- Provides information concerning programs available for children with catastrophic, disabling, and/or terminal illnesses.
- Makes evaluations of the home situation concerning the family's ability and willingness to meet the needs of the patient.
- Makes home visits to assess the needs of and provide intervention for patients and their families.
- Performs related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of nursing and public health principles, practices and techniques.
- Knowledge of human anatomy and physiology.
- Knowledge of community resources.
- Ability to administer medications.
- Ability to provide preventive health care and treatment to groups.
- Ability to assist in planning and conducting a variety of training activities.
- Ability to work with patients having a variety of physical problems.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to teach health care.
Your responses to qualifying questions for this position must be verifiable by documentation provided through the electronic application process.
This position requires a security background check and/or drug screening and participation in direct deposit. Any misrepresentations or omissions will disqualify you from employment consideration.
Note: You will be required to provide your Social Security Number (SSN) in order to conduct this background check.
Male applicants born on or after October 1, 1962, will not be eligible for hire or promotion unless they are registered with the Selective Services System (SSS) before their 26th birthday, or have a Letter of Registration Exemption from the SSS.
If you are a retiree of the Florida Retirement System (FRS), please check with the FRS on how your current benefits will be affected if you are re-employed with the State of Florida. Your current retirement benefits may be canceled, suspended or deemed ineligible depending upon the date of your retirement.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans' Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Candidates claiming Veterans' Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans' Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.
Nearest Major Market: Tallahassee