The Pueblo City-County Library District has openings in our Substitute Staffing Pool!
This is a very flexible position, which allows you to work part-time on-call as a Library Substitute 1 at any of the Library District's branches including Rawlings, Barkman, Lamb, Pueblo West, Lucero, Giodone, Greenhorn Valley and the Library @ the Y to cover shift vacancies due to absences, vacations and job vacancies.
As a Library Substitute 1, you will perform various duties, including:
- Maintain library shelves and create positive experiences for customers by quickly and accurately processing materials and returning them to their designated locations in accordance with the Librarys cataloging system
- Move book carts containing checked in and sorted material to the appropriate shelving area. Shelve books and other library materials quickly and accurately to their proper location.
- Maintain shelves that are neat, orderly and inviting to customers. Promote materials by front facing books, shifts shelves to keep them neat, reads shelves to ensure everything is in its proper place.
- Demonstrate interest in the condition of the collection by identifying and removing books and other materials in poor condition and brings them to the attention of the manager. Clean and make minor repairs to materials as needed.
- Use proper lifting techniques to pick up and move materials.
- Assist customers with finding library materials and provide information to broaden their awareness of library resources and services.
- Assist customers with public computers, digital devices and electronic resources.
- Inspect copy machines and printers periodically, cleans and add paper as needed.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skill using Automated Materials Handling (AMH) equipment, hydraulic lifting equipment and Self-Service Check-out Stations including the ability to troubleshoot and resolve general software and equipment errors.
- Provide excellent customer service by proactively approaching customers and offering assistance, helps customers locate materials, provides reference information and readers advisory.
- Explain library policies and procedures to customers, hours of operation, meeting room use and other facility information.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills including active listening skills and the ability to resolve basic customer issues. De-escalate tense situations by using methods to influence customer behavior.
- Assist with program logistics as needed
Qualifications: High School diploma or GED and one year of related work experience required. Continuing education and library experience are preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Requires basic computer skills for use of email, internet, electronic timekeeping, on-line work order system, and employee access database.
- Basic math and English language skills, both written and verbal, are required.
- Related experience involving accurate alphabetical, numerical, and subject filing is preferred.
- Experience using library ILS software, databases and e-services with the ability to instruct customers on their use.
- Excellent proactive customer service skills with the ability to present a positive image of the library in attitude, communication style and appearance.
- Accurate alphabetical, numerical, and subject filing.
- Basic mathematical skills including accurate handling of money.
- Problem solving skills with the ability to listen, address basic customer concerns and assist customers in resolving issues.
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse populations including people of all ages, backgrounds, races, and special needs populations.
- Requires the ability to actively participate and contribute as a team member as well as work independently, follow instructions and use good judgment.
- Ability to function under flexible and changing conditions.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to do repetitive work including hours of standing, bending, kneeling, shelving, lifting, pushing and pulling. Must be able to lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds and push /pull a fully loaded book cart weighing up to 200 pounds.
Other Requirements: Must be able to work a flexible schedule including days, evenings and weekends. Must submit to and successfully pass a criminal background investigation.
Starting wage is $12.00 per hour
Pueblo City-County Library District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.