The Grounds Keeper supports Facilities Management Department by performing grounds and landscape maintenance, renovations of landscape, irrigation systems and hardscape, turf management, irrigation installations and repairs to existing irrigation, clearing and maintaining drainage systems, roads & parking lots, fencing, picking up litter and debris, planting, cultivating, irrigating and pruning a variety of types of trees, shrubs, ground cover, flowers and grasses.
Includes the use and proper operation of electrically-powered and gasoline-powered grounds keeping equipment and machines, and the use of small hand and power tools or equipment. Holding or being able to acquire State of Az Applicator License for applying herbicides is required.
10 % Plant new or renovates shrubs, trees, ground covers, grasses and flowers. Prepares, plants and maintains annual flower beds. Installs sod and landscape materials such as irrigation, boulders, decomposed granite, landscape rock, rip rap and mulch. Trims, prunes, and shears trees, shrubs and ground covers; rakes and removes debris. Operate brush chippers, stump grinders, water tanker with pumps, hydraulic sprayers as needed.
12 % Maintains campus lawns by irrigating, mowing, edging, hand trimming, fertilizing and using weed control methods, prepare areas for seed or sod, lay sod and sow seed, operate riding mowers, rototillers, lawn sweepers, hydraulic sprayers, aerators as needed.
10% Maintain athletic fields using appropriate lawn care procedures including mowing, fertilizing, over seeding, dethatching, aerating, striping of playing surfaces, dragging infields. Use riding mowers, rototillers, aerators, lawn sweepers as needed.
5 % Performs irrigation activities such as repairing sprinkler lines and heads, watering trees, shrubs, ground covers, flowers, and lawns. Monitors and reports any issues with irrigation systems.
5% Performs snow and ice removal with shovels, brooms and powered equipment and applies ice melt. Use hand tools to remove snow and ice from stairs, walks and ramps. Operate ice melt spreaders, tractors and bobcats to remove snow and ice from roads, walks, drives and parking lots.
10 % Sprays and trims weeds using appropriate tools and equipment, performs hand weeding.
5 % Make minor sidewalk, roadway and parking lot repairs using hot and cold patch.
10 % Apply herbicides, insecticides, dormant oil, fungicides and miticides to control weeds, insects and disease attacking campus plant life.
Use hydraulic sprayer as needed.
10 % Maintain surface drainage by keeping catch basins and culverts free of debris.
10 % Operates power tools and vehicles used in the landscape industry, such as blowers, mowers, power shears, chain saws, power edgers, weed eaters, rototillers, etc. Performs cleaning and maintenance on tools, power equipment and vehicles and makes minor repairs as directed. Drives standard pickups and utility vehicles as necessary. Responsible for keeping all equipment safe from vandalism or theft during work shift and for inspecting equipment daily to ensure it is operating properly
5% Removes litter and garbage from landscape areas; removes debris from stairs, walkways and parking lots. Collects rubbish.
2 % Ensures that grounds maintenance's storage areas in the plant building and yard are neat, clean and well organized at all time.
2 % Supports the campus recycling programs relative to their department.
2 % Supports special events and assisting with loading, transporting, unloading and setting up staging, tables, chairs, tents, decorations and flooring protection as necessary.
2 % Other duties as assigned to meet the objectives of Facilities Management
including campus “Special Events“ support
High school (or GED) level ability in spelling, grammar, basic composition, and math and at least three years of commercial grounds maintenance and landscaping experience.
- Valid Arizona Driver's License and clean MVD driving record upon employment.
- At least two years of licensed experience driving manual shift type vehicles and equipment.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, write information, and complete simple forms. Ability to read labels and directions for combining mixtures. Ability to calculate mixtures using mathematics.
- Ability to operate campus vehicles, equipment, machinery, trucks, tractors and mowers in a safe, responsible manner.
- Hold State of AZ spray license or the ability to pass the state required spray license examination within 90 days of employment.
- Ability to write for managing daily work orders and recording data related to herbicide application. Knowledge of fertilizers, insecticides and herbicides used in grounds care and gardening. Ability to use manual and mechanical sprayers for applying pesticide, herbicides, and liquid fertilizers.
- Ability to use mechanical and manual overseeding broadcast equipment to distribute seed and / or fertilizers.
- Ability to operate a tractor for mowing, brush hogging, digging.
- Ability to use a trailer for transporting leaves, grass, rocks, dirt and equipment.
- Knowledgeable in the 811 call before you dig procedures.
- Knowledgeable in the proper operation, and the ability to use equipment such as shovels, picks, rakes, lawn rollers, saws, pruners, poles saws, hoses, hand trowels, tamps, hammers pliers, spading forks and brooms.
- Skill in operating grounds maintenance and grounds construction equipment such as tractors, backhoes, bobcats, brush clippers, rotor-tillers, water tanker with pumps, hydraulic sprayers, aerators, lawn sweepers, stump grinders, wood chippers, pickup trucks with plows, ice melt spreaders.
- Ability to operate a weed eater and edger for trimming lawns. Ability to use hand clippers for trimming shrubs. Ability to use an aerator to aerate soil. Ability to use a mulcher to cut up leaves and grass. Ability to use a chain saw for trimming and cutting trees and brush. Ability to use a push mower for cutting grass and bagging clippings. Ability to operate a power rake for raking and dethatching lawn.
- Ability to remove concrete, asphalt, dirt, rocks, leaves and so forth with shovels, picks, rakes or equipment such as tractors and backhoes.