New Product Development Engineer
Work with customers, sales, manufacturing, and engineering teams to create new designs and to modify existing designs with the result of producing high quality products utilizing the most cost-effective manufacturing method. Determine potential new markets and solve cargo securement problems by modifying existing products, developing new products, or applying existing products in new ways.
This position is based in Prattville, AL, outside of Montgomery. Relocation assistance is available.
A well-qualified candidate will have extensive project leadership experience and during the design and development of new products will have worked closely and routinely with customers as an engineering liaison.
The position has no direct reports but will routinely lead product development teams.
- Anticipate new product demands through an understanding of the industry as well as respond to new product requests initiated by the Sales and Marketing function.
- Determine feasibility and functional requirements through independent analysis, research, and customer contact and then create new products according to the Product Development Process (PDP).
- Conduct research and create design proposals for projects.
- Establish design briefs.
- Manage multiple product development projects concurrently for on-time delivery to the market.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Frequently interface with customers by telephone and in person to determine their needs and expectations.
- Fabricate samples of working models for demonstration.
- Use computer-aided design to model concepts.
- Promote organizational culture of continuous improvement by championing the use of Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma principles.
- Prepare and present status updates on product development and design concepts.
- Responsible to maintain and coordinate activities to ensure vital operational metrics.
- Prepare and present product training sessions for new employees.
- Present and collaborate using Microsoft Teams.
- Working conditions are primarily in a climate-controlled, office setting with time often spent in a manufacturing and warehouse environment.
- Routine travel (including overnight travel) required to customer locations, trade shows, and other industry events and locations.
- Employees are expected to maintain their work area in a neat, clean, orderly, and safe manner.
- Customer Focus – Understanding who your customer is and their needs.
- Dealing with Ambiguity – Comfortable dealing with change and situations in which a clear answer has yet to be discovered.
- Drive for Results – Identifying key goals and using all available people and resources to get there.
- Priority Setting – Knowing what comes first.
- Interpersonal Savvy – Quickly acclimating to people and situations.
- Strategic Agility – Looking to the future and rising to meet it.
- Strong social skills including interpersonal, telephone, and email skills to successfully work and communicate with a variety of personalities.
- Must be able to maintain a professional, organized, and positive demeanor, even when dealing with difficult issues and challenging situations.
- Good communication and public speaking skills.
- Ability to think and operate on the fly, to assess situations, to weigh options, and to make sound business decisions.
- Visit industrial sites to observe products and equipment.
- Able to operate/demonstrate cargo control equipment (winches, straps, beams, etc.)
- Extended computer use (sitting, typing, use of mouse, and viewing screen).
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Competent computer skills. Knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, Outlook, and LinkedIn.
- Knowledge of SolidWorks and/or 3D Design, AutoCAD, or DraftSight.
- Project management skills.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Understanding of and ability to properly apply engineering principles.
- Proficiency in mathematics.
- College degree required, preferably a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering.
- In lieu of a college degree, additional equivalent experience and education in a related industry may be considered.
- At least five years in product design and development.
- Extensive experience leading teams required.
- Seven or more years of product design and development experience preferred.
- Exposure to the transportation industry is a plus.
- A combination of years of experience, advanced education, and industry-specific training and experience may be considered in lieu of the minimum experience requirement.