Assistant Retail Store Manager
The Black Dog
The Black Dog brand was born out of one sailing Captain's love for the sea, his island home, and of course, his dog. Since 1971, The Black Dog has defined a relaxed, island-inspired lifestyle, rich in nautical tradition. Whether it be through our complete collection of men's, ladies', and kids' sportswear, accessories for your dog, or gifts for the home, we have come to stand for the highest quality. We believe there is no substitute for it.
As a Black Dog Crew Assistant Manager you will embody The Black Dog's passion for the sea, a love for dogs, and a thirst for life. In return, you will receive a competitive salary, generous employee discounts, and an opportunity to work in an idyllic seaside location. A new work adventure awaits you as a member of The Black Dog Crew.
This position is responsible for all store operations including product placement, inventory control and staff supervision in the absence of the store manager. This position will be required to maintain the highest level of customer service as well as outstanding store schematic to meet and exceed the expectations of the clientele.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
Sales and Customer Experience
- Displays a 'customer comes first' attitude by assisting with training and holding employees accountable for delivering strong customer service
- Create “seamless customer service“ by making every effort to find merchandise for customers if an item is not in stock
- Be personally available to all customers to communicate and identify their needs and address their questions or concerns
- Develop your own Best Practices for customer service and sales
- Demonstrates a calm demeanor during periods of high volume or unusual events and manages smooth transitions thereafter to keep store operating to standard and to set a positive example for the store team
- Is trained redundantly in all stores policies and procedures as store manager and can adequately perform store managers duties on an interim basis.
- Develop and support a positive attitude toward The Black Dog
- Maintain employee attitude and morale by recognizing outstanding performance and service
- Maintain training standards to ensure both product and systems expertise that will improve store operations and allow for better customer service
- Manage and maintain high quality employees through legal and appropriate management techniques
- Directs and supervises associates engaged in sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for customers
Operations and Merchandising
- Manage and direct day-to-day operations of the store:
- Maintain and track all inventory
- Follow BD Retail Ops Handbook, Ops Checklist, policies and procedures
- Strictly maintain creative and organized displays of inventory that matches the expectations of the clientele
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment for employees and customers
- Prepare the store in advance of the opening hours, ensuring tidiness and proper display of inventory
- Closing the store and securing the building
- Timely submission of payroll and accounting information
- Manages with integrity, honesty and knowledge that promote the culture and value of The Black Dog
- Plans, identifies, communicates, and delegates appropriate responsibilities and practices to store employees to ensure smooth flow of operations
- Loss Control/Management -- reporting on damages and losses
- Maintain high merchandising values that reflect The Black Dog image by being creative, educational, inviting and expressive
- Work in conjunction with the Buying department to develop an advertising or promotional plan that will maximize retail sales for your store
- Assist the Buying department in developing a merchandising plan each season that enhances product presentation, includes signage or POP, and makes the store an easy place to shop
- Ensure that goals will be met through appropriate planning and organization of staff, inventory, and expenses for short and long term success
Required Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of and ability to apply basic principles and techniques of supervision
- Must know how to operate a cash register, credit card authorization machine and must have troubleshooting skills with each of these machines
- Proven proficiency in Windows based computer programs including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Must have proven excellent customer service skills
- Must be able to plan ahead and organize the work environment to benefit the employees and the customers
- Ability to multi task and balance several demands at one time and remain calm and respectful
- Must be able to reflect the professional attire of The Black Dog Tavern Company, specifically for this work location
- Ability to maneuver around sales floor and stock room, carry merchandise, unpack boxes, stand and walk for extended periods of time, and to lift up to 75 lbs. frequently
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must have at least one year supervisory experience, preferably in the area of retail management
Applicants, as well as position incumbents, who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
The Black Dog is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. Applicants for employment and employees are reviewed on their individual qualifications for a position. Under no circumstances will The Black Dog discriminate against qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religious creed, retaliation, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, disability, mental illness, genetics, choice of health insurance, marital status, age, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.