This position provides technical support to complete laboratory testing for OHSU hospital and clinic patients. The person in this position will be a qualified Medical Laboratory Scientist with generalist experience and is capable of performing high complexity laboratory testing and associated activities needed to support the technical services provided by the CHH-2 Lab. Testing is performed in the following areas: Chemistry, Hematology, Urinalysis. Specimen processing, test performance, and result reporting is performed independently after appropriate training. Supervisor or director review of results is required in situations dictated by policy or procedure.
The person filling this position will be of professional demeanor and perform their duties with an attitude, which will best serve the clients of the department.
Function/Duties of Position
Key Responsibilities & Performance Standards
% Of duties
Essential Function (Yes/No)
Performs testing with accuracy, speed, and efficiency, using Sysmex XN 9000, Siemens EXL and Clinitek. Follows written procedures and policies.
Prepares samples for testing. Determines acceptability of specimens and results. Repeats analysis as necessary to insure accuracy. Reports test results via computer and telephone.
Calibrates, maintains and troubleshoots laboratory instruments and procedures.
Performs and evaluates quality control data to determine functionality of instruments and procedures. Reviews questionable data with technical coordinator.
- Assists with miscellaneous technical administrative functions to support daily laboratory activities.
Performs inventory of reagents and supplies. Reviews critical, summary and outstanding lists. Performs projects assigned by lead worker, technical coordinator or lab manager.
- Completes competency training, annual review of policy and procedure manuals, and safety review. Attends and participates in staff meetings and training sessions.
- Performs requirements for Staff Members as outlined in Compliance Roles and Responsibilities in OHSU Hospitals and Clinics and understands and complies with the Code of Conduct, OHSU and departmental policies and procedures, and other applicable procedures, rules and regulations.
- Communicates and works effectively as part of a team, and interacts with a variety of clients including doctors, nurses, laboratory staff and patients, maintaining a customer service focus at all times.
- Performs job responsibilities ethically, professionally, and with personal integrity, and functions as part of the team exhibiting excellent communication, teamwork and customer service skills.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and training sessions.
Performs all computer functions using EPIC software.
Answers telephone requests for laboratory information.
Trains new employees, students and residents.
- Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology which includes at least one year of clinical lab experience, and certification as MT(ASCP) or MLS(ASCP) within 90 days of hire. Depending on date of training, different continuing education requirements will apply: OR
- Completion of a 2 year accredited Medical Laboratory Technician program, plus MLT (ASCP) within 90 days of hire, and 4 years of experience in a clinical laboratory. Depending on date of training, different continuing education requirements will apply; OR
- Bachelor's degree in a Chemical or Biological field, and four years of experience as a Medical Laboratory Technician 2 in a clinical laboratory performing testing and related tasks. Note, experience in a specialty lab area will only qualify candidate to work in that specialty area.
- General knowledge of laboratory terminology, equipment, materials and techniques, regulations and safety.
- Skill in handling of laboratory specimens, record keeping and laboratory equipment.
- Skill in identifying cells and cell morphology.
- Skill in using several different computer systems, including: word processing, dedicated LIS/HIS, etc.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions accurately, and operate and maintain standard laboratory equipment.
- Ability to work independently within established guidelines, to adjust to rapidly changing priorities, and apply problem-solving skills.
- Ability to demonstrate performance of job duties to trainees.
- Demonstrate personal integrity, efficiency, and ability to adjust to rapidly changing testing priorities.
- Ability to work in a multi-tasking environment and display technical skills at many different workstations throughout the laboratory.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation
- Generalist experience in Chemistry, Hematology, Urinalysis, Coagulation, and limited Microbiology within last two years preferred. Applicants with recent experience in only Chemistry and/or Hematology will be considered. MLS certification is preferred.
- Certification as MT(ASCP) or MLS(ASCP) or by AMT preferred.
All are welcome
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or email@example.com.