This position provides superior customer service to OMSI's guests through on-site sales and services. Effectively promote OMSI's products to onsite-customers, i.e., explains and sells OMSI's products to customers in such a way as to maximize both the customer experience and revenue generation for the museum.
Participate in programs/initiatives to enhance corporate culture, such as:
- Working effectively with and supporting volunteers throughout the organization.
- Supporting OMSI's Total Guest Experience (TGE)/Customer Service mission & objectives in daily job performance, including diversity initiatives.
- Establishing a world class guest service environment that is creative, harmonious, positive, respectful, efficient, knowledgeable and professional toward both internal and external customers.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Proactively maintain an expert-level knowledge base of all OMSI programs and activities.
- Provide every visitor with a superior customer experience, approaching all encounters in a gracious, attentive, courteous and professional manner.
- Promote and sell OMSI products, looking for ways to maximize revenue with each visiting patron.
- Greet large groups upon arrival and facilitate their visit to OMSI (includes confirming headcounts, taking payments, schedule coordination assistance, organizing lunches, providing follow-up, resolving conflicts, etc.).
- Greet visitors to the Empirical Theater and Planetarium: Monitor traffic flow, take tickets, present queuing demonstrations, facilitate seating, introduce shows and provide safety and customer service information.
- Facilitate submarine tour queuing and ticket-taking.
- Provide concierge services such as lost & found, coat check and parking registration.
- Review the museum calendar of events, attraction schedules, daily updates, BEOs and all other relevant museum communications in order to help direct visitors and answer questions.
- Maintain a positive attitude and be an active problem-solver in the face of challenges that arise.
- Responsible for accurate cash-handling and record-keeping.
- Maintain a high degree of professionalism and appearance as a representative of OMSI to the public.
- This position is non-exempt, paid hourly
- This position is regular part-time, scheduled for 30 - 39 hours/week.
- Work weekdays, evenings, weekends and some holidays as required.
- Physical Demands: 25 % Sitting 70 % Standing 5 % Lifting/Carrying/Pushing/Pulling 10-30 Pounds
- Vision requirements include close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left or right while eyes are fixed on a given point), depth and perception (three dimensional vision, ability to judge distance and spatial relationships), and ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eyes to bring an object into sharp focus).
- Noise level is loud (examples: metal-can manufacturing department, large earth-moving equipment).
- Plays active role in achieving museum-wide Guest Services objectives, including interdepartmental cross training and support of Inbound and Outbound Sales efforts as needed.
- Work in close association with on-stage and back stage departments.
- Work with and support volunteers throughout the museum.
- Provide information and literature on museum and area facilities and services, events and attractions, tours, travel routes and transportation schedules. Assist with arrangements as practical.
- Act as a resource for customer service inquiries and complaints, solving issues where possible or connecting guests to the proper individual or department when necessary.
- Learn and practice emergency procedures, portable radio etiquette, and paging system operation.
- Maintain physical appearance of museum by keeping areas clean and organized.
- Assist with member and donor events.
- Assume other tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
- Good customer service skills.
- Working knowledge of sales.
- Ability to follow basic instructions.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Good organizational skills.
- Understanding of confidentiality and protocol.
- Accurate cash-handling and record-keeping skills.
- Team player with a good attitude and strong cooperation skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of OMSI's programs, prices, financial aid, exhibits and activities.
- Experience with point of sale programs.
- Strong knowledge of local community, area and region.
Education & Work Experience:
- Minimum 1 year customer service experience in a fast-paced, high public contact retail and/or service environment.
- High School diploma or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Bilingual - Spanish/English.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Theater presentation or ushering experience.
Additional Requirements/Preferences; Including Licenses and Certifications:
- Pre-employment checks, such as criminal background check and reference checks.