Associate User Experience Designer
About This Role…
The Associate User Experience Designer is responsible for contributing to the design of intuitive and user-friendly educational report assets to support on-going research efforts for NWEA's new Through Year Assessment product.
This position will interact with UX researchers, users and subject matter experts on a regular basis to visualize, define, document and communicate the design of exceptional data visualization artifacts for internal and external users of our new assessment product, while maintaining high expectations and strict adherence to NWEA's design system guidelines and principles.
The Associate User Experience Designer is also responsible for conducting competitive analysis, supporting focus groups activities, validating assumptions with users, and designing mock-ups and wireframes that clearly reflect and incorporate users' feedback.
The ideal candidate must be able to work with minimal supervision and collaborate with other designers in peer design and review activities.
Your Next Challenge…
- Assist with the design of data visualization assets for digital and print user experiences in accordance with NWEA's design guidelines and principles, best practices, universal design and accessibility concepts.
- Work closely with UX research, grant execution experts, user groups and subject matter experts to ensure that user experience requirements and research objectives are met.
- Collaborate with the larger Through Year product team to ensure that user interface and print designs work with the technical solution, and to propose new designs within technical constraints that still provide a positive user experience.
- Assist with user research and design an intuitive user experience that satisfies the business and user requirements.
- Actively collaborate with peers and participate in peer review and peer design activities.
- Perform heuristic and comparative analysis, participate in user experience workshops and interviews, the development of user profiles or personas, development of wireframes, navigational flow or pathways that users will follow throughout reporting applications, writing of UI Design Specifications, and participating in usability testing efforts.
- Assist in developing user experience strategy, selecting and managing tools, and integrating user experience design into the product lifecycle.
Your Skills and Abilities…
- Ability to work closely with UX research and grant execution experts
- Ability to conceptualize the abstract and manufacture the concrete
- Creative ability to envision and articulate the user experience
- Ability to work with partners and internal experts to develop data visualization artifacts
- Experience with Internet functionality and comparative browser features
- Basic knowledge of HTML and other Web technologies (e.g. CSS)
- Working knowledge of best practices in usability as it applies to Web sites and on-line applications
- Good facilitation, presentation, written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Logic and analytical skills
Education and Experience Your…
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree in HCI, Human Factors, Information Design, Web Design or related field. An equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered in lieu of a degree
- One to three years' experience in documenting and creating interactive solutions to meet the clients' business requirements and objectives (provide portfolio of implemented user designs)
- Experience conducting or co-facilitating focus groups is a plus
- One to three years of exhibited knowledge in developing products or systems, or comparable education.
- One to three years' experience leading the designs of one or more complex application(s) or services
- Knowledge of accessibility and accommodation requirements related to User Interface development a plus