The Department of Mental Health's Pocasset Community Mental Health Center is seeking dynamic individuals, who under supervision will provide physical and emotional care to patients in inpatient settings. While assisting in the rehabilitative aspects of patient care so that patients are encouraged to achieve their highest level of independent functioning, the Mental Health Worker I provides support, encouragement, and limit setting to patients to help them meet individualized behavioral treatment plans. The MHW is responsible for performing patient related housekeeping duties, maintaining patient records using approved documentation formats, accompanying patients to appointments, engaging patients in leisure activities, and performing related duties as required. The Mental Health Worker establishes a rapport with patients and coworkers, and works with other staff to provide a safe environment for all patients by monitoring patient activity and unit.
Please Note: This is a Seasonal position for an anticipated duration of 90 days and is 40 hours per week. The selected candidate will work 3:00pm to 11:30pm.
Position#00264623 - Days off: Thursday/Friday
Position#00274332 - Days off: Wednesday/Thursday
Duties and Responsibilities (these are a general summary and not all inclusive):
- Provides direct care and treatment to the adult mentally ill patients.
- Provide assistance, instruction and supervision in activities of daily living to include hygiene, care of living area, care of personal belongings.
- Utilizes a Person First, Person Centered approach when working with clients in assisting them in their recovery.
- Counsels patients as indicated by conversing with them on a 1-1 basis using therapeutic communication in order to facilitate a therapeutic environment.
- Responds to all behavioral emergencies on and off unit as assigned utilizing accepted interventions to promote a safe environment for all.
- Ability to read, write speak, and comprehend English to communicate effectively with a diverse group of patients, employees, and supervisors.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions and communicate effectively in oral expression.
- Trained on de-escalation and nonviolent crisis intervention procedures.
- Given the population served, bilingual or multilingual fluency.
DMH Mission Statement:
Cape & Islands Site / Pocasset Mental Health Center provide comprehensive services to adults and children. Programs include a 16-bed acute in-patient unit, Case Management, Day Treatment Program, and Adult Community Clinical Services. The Pocasset Mental Health Center is a Joint Commission certified facility. In all we always aspire to create an environment which promotes growth and independence for those we serve, families, and employee alike.
A criminal background check will be completed on the recommended candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services prior to the candidate being hired.
Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Division's Hiring Guidelines.
Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealth's website.
Any questions, please contact the Human Resource Office at (508) 977-3677.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: None.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: None.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.