Position Title: Land Acquisition Manager Department: Land
Since our founding in 2002, we’ve become one of the top 10 public homebuilders in the U.S. In 2018, we were ranked 61st among the Fortune 100 Fastest-Growing Companies, and we’ve been the fastest-growing public builder for three years in a row. Over the years, our organization has grown to include two homebuilding brands—operating as Century Communities and Century Complete—along with mortgage and insurance services through Inspire Home Loans and Parkway Title.
At Century Communities, our family of companies is driven by one simple objective: A Home For Every Dream™. As part of that mission, we’re dedicated to providing you with every opportunity for growth and success as you build a thriving career. That’s because we know that building, financing and insuring beautiful new homes for our buyers is only possible with the best talent in the industry.
Our excellent benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with employer match, vacation and sick leave. We also offer competitive salaries with the potential for discretionary bonuses and/or commission structure (depending on the position).
If you’re a passionate self-starter, changemaker and thoughtful collaborator ready to take their career to the next level, we’d love to hear from you!
The Land Acquisition Manager assists with identifying new land acquisition opportunities that align with the land strategy and business plan goals of the division. Conduct research, provide analysis, and manage land data for the purposes of maximizing the profit of existing and proposed land assets
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Contact landowners in specific target areas directly (in person, by phone, letters of interest, and other means).
- Use online appraisal district maps and municipal maps to gather information on specific sites or areas. Information will include utilities, zoning, topography, entitlement status, and other development-related information to assess each site.
- Maintain a tracking log of viable tracts and comparable transactions.
- Follow municipal agendas weekly to understand what active projects that may be an acquisition opportunity for partially entitled, fully entitled or finished lots.
- Contact brokers on their listings and gather pertinent information.
- Establish relationships based on integrity throughout the real estate community – landowners, brokers, municipal employees, engineers, developers, attorneys, land planners, and personal relationships which may lead to an opportunity. Attend networking events to generate new contacts and source deals.
- Follow up on leads through relationships and news gathered from a variety of media sources.
- Due diligence assistance with zoning requirements, architectural requirements, utility availability, surveys, title work, rollback tax estimations, soil reports, financial analysis, environmental reports, work proposals, preliminary engineering and land planning.
- Utilize Google Earth and other mapping tools to create exhibits and track land opportunities.
- Incorporate utility information, floodplain, and net acreage into map exhibits.
Underwriting/Competitive Market Analysis/Letters Of Intent
- Assist land team with the preparation of financial proformas and plugging in assumptions including timing, pricing, product lineup, sales pace, municipal fees, and other costs associated with development to determine the viability of proposed land acquisitions.
- Perform residual analyses to determine appropriate offer prices for land acquisitions.
- Update and maintain proformas as assumptions change.
- Populate CMA’s to help understand how the proposed product line up and pricing compares to other communities in the market area.
- Create reports from market research resources such as Zonda, Bohlke, Metrostudy, and other data resources to help determine consumer’s product preferences.
- Assist in the preparation of LOI’s based on the terms discussed with acquisition leadership.
Asset Management Committee (AMC) Packages/Updates/Memos
- With the guidance and assistance of Land Acquisition leadership, prepare detailed land packages with relevant support data and exhibits for submittal to Asset Management Committee to seek approval of real estate transactions.
- Assist with the preparation of update memos during the acquisition period as well as during development and post-closing.
Knowledge/Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of the local residential (attached and detached) land development practices and
procedures including wet and dry utilities, storm sewer, concrete, curb and gutter, paving, etc.
- Must be able to read, analyze, interpret and comprehend financial reports, construction documents, legal documents, surveys, soil reports and technical reports.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Business, Construction Management, Real Estate or related field.
- 5+ years’ experience in residential land acquisition for construction, single or multi-family land acquisitions, or related experience.