What makes DHL great? Our People! We know each employee’s individual contributions make us the #1 Express Delivery and Logistics Company in the world.
DHL Express is committed to maintaining an environment that empowers every team member to make the greatest possible impact on our business. Our corporate culture is about personal commitment – to our business, to each other and to our global communities. DHL is dedicated to being a great place to work. In addition to competitive compensation packages, our employees enjoy a range of programs, services and benefits that bring the best to their personal lives.
Grow YOUR career with DHL today…
Mechanical Warehouse Design Engineer - Sr Manager
This role is based in Plantation, FL. Valid US work authorization is required.
This position supports the Americas Infrastructure Team in the Network Operations Department and it is key to accomplish initiatives set forth in our Regional Strategy. This role has a significant impact in Automated Material Handling Design, Project Management and Infrastructure Engineering as well as acts as a trusted partner for Senior Leadership to initiate and drive solutions within the Americas Region. Independently manage a portfolio of Material Handling Automated Facility Programs that leverage emerging trends and technologies to build capacity and provide sustainability for the Infrastructure of the Americas Region.
Will be responsible for entire projects with considerable scope and impact to various business units. Errors in judgment or failure to achieve objectives would typically result in noticeable program delays and considerable expenditure of resources to rectify.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Initiate, design and drive sophisticated Material Handling Automation Systems that will increase capacity and improve efficiency in the Americas Region while meeting operational, network, safety and financial requirements.
- Manage a portfolio of Infrastructure projects leveraging emerging trends and technologies in material handling automation.
- Define business requirements including integration of innovative solutions including changes to current equipment and facility designs to ensure business needs are met and enhanced.
- Execute roadmaps for complex automated material handling systems.
- Lead and manage the development of solutions that meet project goals and or changing requirements, this will include multiple work-streams and projects.
- Communicate, interface and work with various business units to achieve defined goals.
- Liaise with the Regional and Global Infrastructure teams to help develop and communicate Engineering and Infrastructure Standards and Design principles.
- Review Engineering from concept to production.
- Develop and analyze BCAs, equipment layouts, and develop complex hub designs.
- Present and gain agreement for Engineering projects approval and concept buy-in
- Plan the development, implementation and execution of the programs upon approval.
- Manage business and project risks, including the development of contingency plans according to the needs of the program.
- Report regularly on the programs and projects to facilitate a culture of shared learnings and best demonstrated practices throughout the Region and Globally.
- Drive best practices in meeting cost and schedule criteria.
Skills and Qualifications
- Inspired, open-minded and outgoing in character
- Demonstrable knowledge and passion for innovation and new technologies
- Innovative skills to advance the engineering infrastructure and equipment currently in place as well as the ability to bring new ideas to the business
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Mechanical Engineering or Technical Field required; Advanced degree a plus
- At least 4 years of proven experience working on material handling systems within an organization.
- Good understanding of equipment and infrastructure
- Proven ability to deliver complex engineering solutions
- Experience in Material Handling Design software such as AutoCAD required
- Superb communication and presentation skills
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to assess business cases and business processes with a talent for identifying innovation opportunities
- Comprehensive knowledge of the DHL Express network preferred
- Good understanding of material handling equipment and infrastructure
- Experience in automation of parcel sorting systems.
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently in an analytical and structured manner
- Fluency in English required, Spanish language skills would be a significant advantage
- Experience working in Latin America would be a significant advantage
- International mindset; willing to travel
DHL is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic. The EEO is the Law poster is available here.