Under general supervision assists attorneys and other legal staff by providing legal administrative support, which includes all aspects of document preparation, and coordination of schedules and calendars for attorneys and case work. Collaboratively works with Claim, Claim Legal and clients as well as other 3rd parties to produce desired results. Prior work in an Insurance Defense firm supporting workers compensation and tort defense attorneys would be a plus. However, this position will also have potential exposure to attorneys focusing on medical malpractice, professional liability, premises liability and general liability.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines including but not limited to:
- Handles all aspects of document preparation and delivery.
- May draft, prepare and distribute legal correspondence and memos under management/attorney direction. Files/serves documents timely and appropriately with courts and other parties.
- Collaboratively assists in gathering and organizing exhibits, documents, trial data and other materials in response to subpoenas, discovery requests, interrogatories, motions for summary judgment etc.
- Accountable for organizing and maintaining all files (electronic, paper and other) and legal archives.
- Coordinates the scheduling of depositions, hearings, conferences, examinations, inspections, etc.
- Calendars events and diaries deadlines.
- Ensures tasks are timely completed and deadlines are met.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically Manager or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- In-depth knowledge of legal terminology, procedures and practices as well as overall general knowledge of the insurance industry and the business units.
- Excellent internal/external customer interactive skills.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office suite and other business related software systems, e.g. Case Management program.
- Excellent organizational skills including ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks in multiple venues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including professional phone etiquette and the ability to draft complex written correspondence.
- Acts with a sense of urgency to advance priorities of the organization.
Education & Experience
- Associates degree with course work or applicable certifications preferred or equivalent experience.
- Typically a minimum four years experience in a related insurance defense environment. Workers compensation defense and/or tort defense experience a plus.