POSITION SUMMARY: Within a business unit, the Operations Manager - Hauling is responsible for managing the collections activities for commercial, industrial and residential customers, as well as container delivery and pick up, in a geographically dispersed area. The position manages a team of Operations Supervisors, , Dispatchers, Operations Clerks, Drivers and Helpers who are responsible for the route system for commercial, roll-off and residential customers throughout the business unit. The Operations Manager - Hauling works with his or her General Manager, and other managers in the business unit, to execute a local market strategy that complements the Area's overall strategic operating and marketing plans and implements tactical initiatives to drive functional excellence and budget achievement. The Operations Manager - Hauling oversees all matters related to collections operations,effective safety and accident prevention programs, compliance with standards and drives change management initiatives that contribute to the growth and durability of the business unit.
- Manages a staff, including hiring, training, coaching, performance management; develop supervisory goals and objectives; and effective resolution of safety issues and claims.
- Implement and execute plans to complement the business unit's strategic and operating plan; champion the execution of tactical initiatives within the Business Unit to maximize the customer experience, growth and durability, while optimizing profitability.
- Ensure maximum productivity and route management systems for commercial, roll-off and residential routes and establish productivity goals where needed; ensure adherence to operating standards; and manage labor hours and disposal expenses.
- Interact with customers and local, state and federal government employees to resolve customer service concerns; ensure regulatory compliance standards are met.
- Oversee effective safety and accident prevention programs to ensure all reasonable action are taken to prevent accidents and injuries; ensure a safe and productive work environment for all employees; implement and maintain and effective loss control and safety program.
- Lead operations to ensure compliance with all standards including environmental, operating, regulatory, safety, accounting and ethics.
- Approve expenses and manage budget for the operations department including approval of purchase orders and vendor pricing.
- Develop a best-in-class team and workplace culture and effectively manage performance and talent development; drive best-practice sharing.
- Build and maintain strong and effective relations with relevant government, community and environmental groups
- Demonstrated business acumen, strategic thinking and an ability to execute against formulated strategy.
- Demonstrated ability to lead change initiatives.
- Able to direct large staff.
- Is process-oriented and results-oriented in setting and pursuing aggressive goals, demonstrating a strong commitment to organizational success and marshaling resources to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, analytical, critical-thinking and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated ability to optimize near-term results that contribute to long-term sustainable success.
- Is collaborative; builds and works with teams.
- Creative thinker who challenges conventional solutions.
- Demonstrates and promotes ethical behavior.
- Has strong leadership skills and proven judgment of talent, with an emphasis on hiring and developing high performance teams.
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Sciences, Engineering or Business.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Minimum of 2 years of supervisory or management experience or participation in Republic Services' management trainee program.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.