Plan and lead business process consulting projects to realize significant process and performance improvement for the Insurances Services Division. Oversee planning and design, and, as required, manage projects and programs to realize a new vision for comprehensive, dramatic, and transformational performance improvement. Provide a clear understanding of these projects' value, scope, methods, goals, and project plans in order to achieve targets for enhanced business value. With minimal direction, establish optimum business and/or clinical process improvement/reengineering/design approaches utilizing Lean Six Sigma and other relevant tools. Address and provide project/program management and/or oversight for these efforts, including the various specific IT and other requirements these complex efforts entail. Provide clear direction, leadership and accountability across the continuum of assigned projects from departmental improvement efforts to highly-complex payer/provider collaborative projects to visionary business/clinical transformational programs entailing sets of interrelated improvement projects.
- Oversee both solid-line and dotted-line professionals within the Organizational Performance Department, as required.
- Proficiently recommend and utilize best practices and skills in Lean/Six Sigma improvement, project/program management, Human sigma (i.e., organizational change management), group/meeting facilitation, and formal presentation development/delivery; conduct staff/team member training and coaching in these same skill areas as required.
- Work collaboratively with business and clinical leaders to design, establish, and implement projects to realize significant, incremental process improvement as well as projects to realize a new vision for comprehensive, dramatic, and transformational performance improvement.
- Analyze the impact of potential changes on existing processes and organizational structures and, when necessary, act as a change agent to lead, facilitate, and management change within impacted departments.
- Lead the assessment and identification of optimal and achievable individual and team-based work behaviors in conjunction with desired performance improvement; also, develop and implement project approaches to achieve focused team and individual behavior change or, based on the breadth of project scope, to achieve complex, multi-departmental behavior change at the individual, team and inter-team levels.
- Demonstrate creative problem solving ability in the identification of potential solutions and alternatives; develop frameworks or innovations that enable problem resolution and generate business value.
- Work as part of a team, the leader of a team, or individually on projects to streamline/improve departmental business and/or clinical processes as well as on projects and programs to redesign highly complex, multi-departmental work systems and focused sets of business/clinical processes; for these projects establish and maintain a clear vision of the business rationale, value, scope, and goals.
- Address and provide project/program management and/or oversight, for the various requirements, including specific IT and other complex requirements, of both incremental business process improvement and large business transformational efforts as required within the established project scope.
- Bachelor's Degree with major in engineering, business, mathematics, statistics, health care, management, or related field.
- Master's degree in these same areas or related field preferred.
- Seven years of experience in operations or operations improvement or operations improvement consulting (may include up to 2 years in operational financial analysis).
- Five years of experience in data-based process improvement (eg. Six Sigma process improvement) and/or project management of related efforts.
- PMI's PMP Certification or successful completion of UPMC's Ulearn Project Management Training series required.
- Black Belt certification in UPMC's Lean Six Sigma Training program or a comparable program meeting ASQ's Black Belt certification standards required.
- Strong management, problem solving, organizational, and communication skills (oral and written) are required.
- Excellent Project Management skills and ability to plan and direct multiple, highly complex process reengineering programs and projects.
- Excellent computer skills required, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio and other pertinent software applications.
- Experience in health care insurance or the health care industry preferred. Strong leadership and interpersonal skills required.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
PMI's PMP? Certification required or completion of UPMC Health Plan PM Certification within one year from date of hire.
In addition, UPMC Health Plan Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certification required or a comparable program meeting the ASQ Black Belt certification standards.
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran