Are you interested in working at Magnet designated UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital? Only 7% of hospitals nationwide have achieved Magnet designation… and we're one of them! For more than a century, UPMC Magee has been caring for women through all stages of their lives, and we are looking for the next talented employee to join our team.
We are hiring a limited casual PCT to support our Intensive Care (ICU/4800) unit. 4800 is a 14-bed critical care unit serving adult medical and surgical patients. A fast-paced acuity adaptable ICU, 4800 cares for all types of patients at Magee other than infants, ranging from those needing critical care interventions to those in stepdown condition; we work with a large number of post-surgical patients who are being seen for a variety of specialties, and we frequently partner with RNs from Labor & Delivery to provide care for critical antepartum and postpartum patients. We pride ourselves on being an environment that is exceptionally open, welcoming, and supportive of new staff.
You will work a minimum of 24 hours per 6-week period. Patient care staff in the ICU work on a rotating schedule to ensure 24/7 coverage. Availability for all shifts, including some weekends and holidays, is expected.
Compassionate individuals of all experience levels are encouraged to apply. Experienced applicants may be hired at the Patient Care Technician level.
- Performs the UPMC nursing core nursing assistant responsibilities (blood glucose, weights, vital signs, I&O, specimen collections, and Foley care) AND at least four of the following business unit identified tasks: phlebotomy, 12 lead EKG, simple dressing, Foley catheter removal, point of care testing, bladder scan, straight catheter or IV catheter removal.
- Provides patient care including assisting with patient procedures and activities of daily living. Assists with physical, respiratory, and cardiopulmonary therapies. Provides feedback to the RN regarding patient care and reports changes in patient status.
- Documents in the medical record according to established procedures.
- Contributes to the universal unit activities including, but not limited to, responding to call lights and telephones, passing meal trays, and transporting patients.
- Provides instruction to patients and their families under the direction of the RN. May apply, monitor, and remove patient restraints as per physician or hospital protocol.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Experience as a PCT STRONGLY preferred.
- Successful completion of basic information system training.
- Microcomputer experience preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Nursing Student that has completed one clinical rotation preferred.
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic or currently enrolled in an EMT or Paramedic program preferred.
- Successful completion of a basic arrhythmia course and annual competency required
- May in the course of their duties be in rooms where medications are stored or may transport medications when they transport patients. Transportation of medication is limited from one department to another.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- ACLS preferred
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Act 34
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.