Provide for the accurate performance of routine and STAT laboratory analytical methods. These tests are used in the diagnosis and treatment of patients and in the evaluation of a patient's response to treatment. Apply competent clinical knowledge to achieve accurate clinical testing which leads to quality patient care outcomes. Work in conjunction with and under the supervision of Medical Technologists.
- Interacts with all laboratory customers professionally. Responds to telephone inquiries courteously and in a timely manner. Practices pleasant communications both internally and externally.
- Meets established testing protocols for precision and accuracy in a timely and efficient manner. Recognizes critical, abnormal and unacceptable test results and follows-up according to established protocols.
- Independently performs Moderately Complex, or Waived tests (qualitative and quantitative). Performs High Complexity testing only with the oversight of a Medical technologist, or with result review by a Supervisor or Manager.
- Demonstrates dependability, reliability, and independent judgment. Recognizes priorities to accommodate department needs and acceptance of appropriate authority.
- Performs and documents Quality Control according to established protocols. Informs supervisory personnel and/or pathologists of any unusual or problematic incidents.
- Assists with the training and orienting of new employees, students and residents, using established competency and workstation operational guidelines.
- Monitors and maintains supplies for those functions for which the position is responsible; uses materials and reagents in a cost-effective manner.
- Processes specimens for analysis. Enters accurate patient demographic information and laboratory test orders into the laboratory information system, while ascertaining adequacy of patient information as well as sample integrity.
- Honors confidentiality of patient information. Follows all compliance guidelines.
- Adheres to all established laboratory and hospital policies, procedures, methods, quality assurance, proficiency testing, and personnel policies.
- Follows all biohazard, chemical, and sharps safety guidelines. Maintains a safe work environment.
- Maintains instruments following procedural calibrations, quality control, and daily maintenance and troubleshooting when necessary.
- Associate degree in a laboratory science with certification (or eligible new graduate) from an accredited institution as either a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT),
- or as a Clinical Laboratory Assistant (CLA),
- OR Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited institution with a major in biological, chemical, physical, or clinical laboratory science AND ASCP or equivalent certification,
- OR equivalent education and experience as defined by CLIA '88 for individuals performing high complexity testing.
- Minimum 1 year's experience in a hospital laboratory preferred.
- Familiarity with medical terminology and laboratory information systems preferred.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Medical Laboratory Technician MLT(ASCP)
- or Clinical Laboratory Assistant (CLA) certification preferred.
- New York license required for NY locations.
- Act 34
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities