Technical Operations Eng I
VACCINE POLICY: WHERE PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED AGAINST COVID-19 TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS U.S.-BASED JOB (REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR MEDICAL AND RELIGIOUS OBJECTIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED).
Cox Communications is searching for a Technical Operations Engineer I. This role will perform operations engineering activities with general networking knowledge and skill in a 24/7 environment.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Under general supervision, executes routine network implementations for new technology.
- Provides reviews with operational boundary partners and compiles information for detailed method of procedures and when needed.
- Creates network change tickets in line with current processes and validates conflicts to ensure no unnecessary outages.
- Partners with Operations and Engineering to test and validate functionality, management and performance for existing and new technologies.
- Supports implementation and deployment of services, systems, applications and architectures with installation, configuration, integration, evaluation, testing, documentation, and training.
- Works with vendors to ensure equipment is installed and operating properly and resolves problems.
- Manages small, more routine projects within Operations to confirm delivery intervals and validate critical dates and milestones to ensure delivery of services stay on target.
- Coordinates with other departments to ensure the network is available and configured to exceed market demands.
- Compiles information for network infrastructure operational standards.
- Participates in industry bodies monitoring technologies, proposals, and issues of technical interest and relevance to network operations.
- Provides basic engineering and operational support to other groups such as Cox Business, Provisioning, and Sustaining Engineering.
- Assists with coaching and mentoring of junior technicians and Cox tiered support teams.
- Prepares and delivers technical documentation and presentations.
- Ensures long term technology goals are consistent operationally across all groups.
- Partners with change management for impact identification, network validation, MOP creation and execution of activities.
- Opens, tracks, executes, and resolves escalated trouble tickets from Tier II related to outages and trouble conditions on network platforms. Provides technical support for all Cox transmission media.
- Partners with Vendors when needed to validate bugs etc. for break fix.
- Operates to meet network reliability and availability metrics set forth by Cox Standards.
- Provides post-incident information and details for documentation when needed.
- May work with other business partners to manage local network tools to ensure network health and tool availability.
- Compensation includes a base salary of $66,500 - 83,200. Salary may vary outside of the anticipated range based on factors such as the ultimate location of the position and the selected candidate's experience.
- Position is eligible for additional compensation that may include commission (annual, monthly, etc.) and/or an incentive program.
- 1 or more year of experience preferred in related field (i.e., Engineering, Technical Operations) or academic equivalent training or projects
- Requires working knowledge of transmission, switching, powering, grounding, mechanical, and cabling
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical thinking skills
- Ability to work in 24/7 environment and on-call as required
- BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly desired (i.e., Engineering, Computer Science, or similar technical degree)
- Certifications: NRS I, CCENT, Network +
- Experience in telecommunications industry desired, with 2-3 years of experience operating in a tiered level technical service assurance and/or service implementation environment preferred
- Demonstrated troubleshooting and diagnostic capabilities
- Working knowledge of various manufacturers’ telecommunications equipment
- Working knowledge of backbone and metro architectures and technologies
- Participation in SCTE and related certifications
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.