Facilities/Security Assistant (22/23 SY)
What about learning drives us to do more than deliver the lesson? Maybe we’re overachievers. Or maybe we just know what real impact looks like. Each one of us has seen passion win over fear, vision become relentless focus and belief in human potential make it all the way to the finish line.
Our mission is to design new models for educational success and raise academic achievement for all learners. Are you ready to find a career with a company whose mission, vision, and values align with yours? Can you see yourself fitting into this mission with us?
As part of Arizona State University’s charter to provide access and excellence, ASU Preparatory Academy shares this commitment by demonstrating all students can achieve at the highest levels, regardless of their background. To scale our current impact, ASU Preparatory Academy is advancing a major expansion program taking fundamental responsibility for the communities we serve.
The Facilities/Security Assistant ensures the safety of students, staff and visitors to the ASU Preparatory Academy campus. This role maintains a positive learning environment on campus and assists with the maintenance of the school campus in a manner that reflects safety, cleanliness, and property/facility upkeep. This position is funded by and serves the requirements of the ESSER Program at the school for which it is awarded.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- One (1) or more years of experience in security and/or general maintenance.
- Ability to read and write English as it pertains to job functions.
- Active Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS) issued IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure safety and welfare of all students, staff and visitors to the ASU Preparatory Academy campus.
- Actively patrol campus to monitor behavior, secure buildings and property, investigate disturbances, maintain order during events, and enforce all regulations.
- Assists in supervising all student activities before, during and after school hours.
- Inspects all fire equipment on campus and maintains records of inspection.
- May assist with the facility, custodial and plant maintenance needs at other ASU Preparatory campuses as directed.
- Performs custodial functions ensuring buildings and grounds are clean and safe.
- Performs minor repairs, maintenance and custodial duties.
- Promote and maintain a culture of safety, excellence, respect, and pride.
- Assists in preparing traffic patterns for arrivals/departures of vehicles at the school, including special events if needed.
- Assists with emergency services and issues work requisitions.
- Checks safety hazards.
- Conduct crossing-guard duties before and after school, as assigned.
- Supports implementation of emergency evacuation procedures and emergency response plans.
- Responds to all customers (includes students, staff, parents and the public) in a prompt, efficient, friendly and welcoming manner.
- Maintains courteous and appropriate relationships with students, staff, parents, community members, vendors and customers at all times.
- Works closely and coordinates with Facilities Supervisor and Directors of Learning.
- Improve systems and procedures by taking corrective actions.
- Conduct duties, responsibilities and assigned projects to ensure compliance and accuracy.
- Additional duties may be assigned as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of public safety and security, including knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures and strategies to promote effective security operations for the protection of people, data, property and buildings.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, legal codes and precedents.
- Knowledge of general maintenance, such as ability to operate tools for minor repairs or maintenance needs.
- Knowledge of state and federal health code standards, as it pertains to custodial use of chemical cleaning products.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, in conjunction with active listening skills.
- Critical thinking skills of using logic and reasoning to identify possible disturbances, to understand complex situations or scenarios, and to develop alternative solutions.
- Problem solving skills for both current and future decisions.
- Strong judgment and decision-making skills to understand costs and benefits of potential actions and ability to rationalize best solution.
- Knowledge of telecommunication systems, including ability to operate and control telecommunication systems.
- Strong ability to use well-exercised moral compass.
- Strong social and awareness skills to understand behavioral analysis and others’ reactions.
- Ability to walk, reach, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, and lift/move objects up to 50 lbs. regularly.
- Ability to articulate, represent professional demeanor and ability to take initiative.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear and sometimes walk and sit. The employee must use hands, arms and fingers to input data, handle, feel or reach. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally push or lift up to 50 lbs. such as boxes, supplies, etc. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as to read handwritten or typed material, and the ability to adjust focus, close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
Immersion - Downtown Phoenix
Occasional travel may be required for site visits, meetings, trainings and/or conferences. Locations may vary and may require overnight stays.
This job description is subject to change at any time.