Sr Engineer - 90299152 - Philadelphia (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US, 19104)
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
This is a tiered position. Incumbents will have a position level assigned based on their skills and experience, and in alignment with position development plans. Position placement is at Amtrak's sole and absolute discretion of Amtrak.
****This position can sit in Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA or Wilimington, DE.****
This position will oversee the construction of major capital improvement projects included in the Baltimore and Potomac (B&P) Tunnel Replacement Program that will modernize and transform a four-mile section of the Northeast Corridor. It includes two new high-capacity tubes for electrified passenger trains, new roadway and railroad bridges, new rail systems and track, and a new ADA-accessible West Baltimore MARC station.
Under the direction of the Director Capital Construction, Major Program Delivery, the successful candidate will function as the main external and internal-facing point of contact for design of the B&P Tunnel Replacement Program.
The Senior Engineer is responsible for design management and coordination of all design reviews with Amtrak’s design consultant and Amtrak Engineering and collaboration with regulatory agencies (as required) for all improvements required for the entire program. The Senior Engineer will be responsible to manage Amtrak’s design consultants contracts and ensure compliance of designs with Amtrak standards.
- Provides and coordinates technical reviews of all design documents associated with the B&P Program.
- Reviews design related documents and comments from outside agencies for adherence to Amtrak standards
- Lead technical efforts for agreements with third party stakeholders for implementation/construction of Amtrak projects that have external impacts (real estate easements, development agreements, site access agreements, design review agreements, etc.)
- Responsible for the overall management of Amtrak’s design consultant contracts and deliverables, and ensuring adherence to project scope, costs, and schedules.
- Provides support to progress and financial reporting, budgeting, estimating, scheduling, and change control.
- Develops and fosters interpersonal relationships and provides guidance, direction and support to subordinates and cross-functional teams to ensure the effective utilization of Amtrak resources such that all financial and schedule aspects of assigned projects are properly managed and controlled
- Responsible for the implementation of technical standards, policies, and procedures as defined within Amtrak and B&P Program documents.
- Responsible for the development, planning, budgeting, coordination and scheduling of resources required to provide design support during construction of the B&P Program.
- Coordinates with Amtrak Program Management staff for force account work associated with the B&P Program and/or overlapping track time.
- Builds and maintains relationships with internal/external customers to accomplish objectives and provide effective communication.
- Thorough understanding of SSSWP Requirements and SSSWP approval process to ensure timely approval to maintain construction contractor and project schedule
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent combination of education training and related experience.
- Extensive experience in infrastructure improvement design, planning and construction
- Demonstrated planning, scheduling, budget, and finance/cost control experience
- Knowledge of FRA regulations, OSHA requirements, and other federal, state, and local regulations and standards sufficient to ensure compliance
- Experience demonstrating skill using PC-based word processing and spreadsheet software (e.g., Word, Excel) sufficient to prepare correspondence and manage budget
- Demonstrated ability to work under tight time constraints, pressure and multiple priorities
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex programs in an operating environment
- Extensive construction project management and supervisory experience
- 8 - 10 years relevant experience preferred
- Transportation industry experience preferred
- Knowledge of Amtrak policies, NORAC operating rules, RWP, AMT2, and MW1000 sufficient to ensure compliance
- Strong interdepartmental leadership with the ability to identify problems and develop solutions
- Experience in railroad maintenance and construction
- Professional Engineer Certification
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering & Mechanical