WHO WE ARE
Michael Baker International is a leading provider of architectural, engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, environmental, construction and program management. The company provides its comprehensive range of services and solutions to support U.S. federal, state, and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker’s more than 3,000 employees across nearly 100 locations are committed to a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve challenges for clients and communities throughout the country. To learn more, visit https://mbakerintl.com/.
We create, integrate, visualize and communicate planning concepts as they move from the initial vision through implementation. Our planning professionals build strong client partnerships, working with residents, businesses, developers, state and local governments, the military and other federal agencies to successfully plan the future of their communities or institutions. At Michael Baker International, we focus on people and places, improving communities and creating more sustainable, convenient, equitable, healthful, efficient, and attractive places.
Michael Baker International is seeking a Environmental Planning Intern to support our Environmental team on a variety of design projects for our Philadelphia, PA office. The individual will learn the profession as duties are performed.
- Conducting extensive research, data collection and analysis, and the preparation of written technical documents pertaining to hazard risk and vulnerability, land use, demographics, and transportation among others.
- Assisting in updating countywide hazard mitigation plans through mapping, data analysis and writing.
- Conducting community and stakeholder engagement activities associated with various planning and engineering projects including stakeholder identification and contact information collection, letter/invitation/announcement drafting and mass mailing, presentation development and delivery, outreach material creation, mapping, press release development and various other media outreach creation.
- Assisting with planning and facilitating meetings and workshops.
- Developing maps, graphics and templates associated with written plans and reports.
- Creating and maintaining databases in Excel and GIS formats.
- Currently enrolled as a part-time or full-time student in good academic standing at an accredited University, College, or Technical School.
- Working towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Planning, Community Development, Urban Studies, Environmental Studies, Communications, Geography, or related discipline.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Proficiency in GIS. Please submit 1 to 3 work samples.
- Possesses a strong interest in planning, environmental sciences, public outreach, and/or emergency management.
- Possesses strong analytical skills, excellent writing and oral communications skills, and the ability to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Access.
- Some experience in hazard resiliency, floodplain management, community outreach and planning, and/or transportation planning.
MICHAEL BAKER INTERNATIONAL EEO STATEMENT
Michael Baker International is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Michael Baker International provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment. Michael Baker International maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified and all will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
EEO is the Law. Applicants to and employees of Michael Baker International are protected under Federal law from discrimination.