Engineer - 90368878 - Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA, US, 19104)
Your success is a train ride away!
As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
This position is a tiered position. Incumbents will have a position level assigned based on their skills and experience, and in alignment with position development plans. Position placement is at Amtrak’s sole and absolute discretion.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Engineer of Track Standards performs special trackwork design; develops plans and sketches for the procurement of highspeed, passenger railroad turnouts and crossovers. They review vendor shop drawings for compliance with the designs. Reviews Third party drawings and specs for compliance. Requests SAP numbers and create descriptions. Scanning and/or filing of supplier’s drawings for future reference.
- Under Sr. Engineer supervision develop special trackwork construction drawings for track renewal and new track construction.
- Under Sr. Engineer supervision creates standard plans and develops new specifications.
- Capable of prioritizing work, juggling multiple projects, working independently, and delivering designs on time. Works as part of team to develop and deliver annual production program.
- Reviews third party manufacturing drawings for conformance with Amtrak Standards.
- Creates catalog descriptions for SAP system.
- May be called upon to assist in field inspections.
- Comfortable working around High-Speed Trains.
- Able to walk on uneven surfaces.
- Ability to lift objects of up to 30 Lbs.
- 5% - 10% field work or overnight travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Civil or Industrial Engineering and at least 3 years relevant, progressive work experience or 5 years of relevant progressive work experience in special trackwork design or construction.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point).
- Proficient in at least 1 CAD software package.
- Working knowledge of reading and interpreting manufacturing and/or construction drawings.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree required OR equivalent combination of training, education, and relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- 3-6 years of relevant experience preferred
- Experience with railroad operations and maintenance.
- Background in manufacturing, material science or metallurgy.
- Working knowledge of Amtrak or AREMA standard track plans.
- Proficient in Bentley MicroStation CAD software.
- Qualified in railroad Roadway Worker procedures, MW-1000.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
The salary/hourly range is $86,500 - $124,400 for the Engineer position and $103,700 - $149,400 for the Sr Engineer position. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, internal equity, etc. Depending on an employee’s assigned worksite or location, Amtrak may consider a geo-pay differential to be applied to the employee’s base salary. Amtrak may offer additional incentive and pay programs to recognize and reward our employees, including a short-term incentive bonus based upon factors such as individual and company performance that is commensurate with the level of the position and/or long-term incentive plan compensation. In addition to your salary, Amtrak offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes health, dental, and vision plans; health savings accounts; wellness programs; flexible spending accounts; 401K retirement plan with employer match; life insurance; short and long term disability insurance; paid time off; back-up care; adoption assistance; surrogacy assistance; reimbursement of education expenses; Public Service Loan Forgiveness eligibility; Railroad Retirement sickness and retirement benefits; and rail pass privileges. Learn more about our benefits offerings here.
Travel Requirements:0 - 5%
You power our progress through your performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job. We want your career at Amtrak to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging work, rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, and attractive compensation. Amtrak maintains a culture that values high performance and recognizes individual employee contributions.
Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol. All Amtrak positions requires a pre-employment background check that includes prior employment verification, a criminal history check and a pre-employment drug screen.
Candidates who test positive for marijuana will be disqualified, regardless of any state or local statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Amtrak's pre-employment drug testing program is administered in accordance with DOT regulations and applicable law.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
In accordance with federal law governing security checks of covered individuals for providers of public transportation (Title 6 U.S.C. §1143), Amtrak is required to screen applicants for any permanent or interim disqualifying criminal offenses.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.