Food and Beverage Intern- For College Students Only
Are you looking to be part of a team of hospitality professionals dedicated to creating world class guest experiences?
Do you desire to work against one of the most picturesque landscapes in the world?
Now is your chance to join the Bay Harbor Yacht Club team!
THIS IS A FULL-TIME, SEASONAL INTERNSHIP LOCATED IN PETOSKEY, MICHIGAN.
INTERNSHIP DATES EXPECTED MAY 18TH, 2024 THROUGH AUGUST 16TH, 2024.
HOUSING AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION- PLEASE INQUIRE DURING APPLICATION PROCESS.
Bay Harbor Yacht Club, a private club located near Petoskey, MI, provides breathtaking views and exceptional service for both guests and members year-round. Bay Harbor Yacht Club is a Distinguished Emerald award-winning club and was named an Honorable Mention for the Platinum Clubs of America 2023-2024. BHYC boasts several exquisite restaurants, multiple recreational outlets, and large event spaces, all situated on the Bay Harbor marina. We recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation which included expanded summer seasonal dining, a new Grille Room, State of the Art Fitness Center, Aquatics Center and a Relaxation Spa!
The Food and Beverage Internship is a great opportunity for candidates who are passionate about creating exceptional experiences for members in the Club’s dining outlets and banquet services. BHYC offers a variety of cuisine for members to enjoy, from casual American fare at the Beach House, to world class entrees in the Main Dining Room. Interns will gain experience working on the floor of the dining venues as well as the “behind-the-scenes” role of running a restaurant, including but not limited to scheduling, chit processing, and inventory. Interns will also have wine educational opportunities from our in-house Sommelier. This internship is open to students with prior experience or who are looking to learn more about the Food and Beverage industry. Candidates should be comfortable working in upscale dining establishments and maintain a warm and welcoming presence.
As a seasonal employee, you are eligible for the following benefits:
- FREE employee meals- lunch and dinner program
- Employee Referral Program bonuses
- Awards through our BHYC 5-Star Service program
- Educational Assistance Program/ Scholarship Opportunities
- Employee Appreciation Events
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Housing- we partner with North Central Michigan College to offer summer dorm housing for our interns!
- Transportation Assistance as needed
- The opportunity to work with employees from around the world!
If you are looking for a fun place to work with some of the best views in Northern Michigan, look no further than Bay Harbor Yacht Club!
The Food and Beverage Intern is an hourly position responsible for assisting with and managing the on-site dining outlets at Bay Harbor Yacht Club. The position may also assist with the execution of banquets and events at the Club.
- Greet and acknowledge members and guests and provides attention
- Be knowledgeable about menu, drink menu, some wine knowledge.
- Learns members’ names and preferences to the best of ability.
- Enthusiastically serve club members and guests and assist others to provide a positive and successful work environment.
- Ensure all dining areas are clean and presentable for members
- Assist in managing servers and server assistants during lunch and dinner shifts
- Track and record club inventory for dining outlets
- Participate as needed during events to execute food and beverage service
- Assist in inter-department activities
- Check in with members and guests during lunch and dinner services
- Own member issues and practice problem solving and solution follow-up
- Work with kitchen to expedite food
- Be present on the restaurant floor to ensure a top-quality dining experience
- Update, track, and create processes and procedures to ensure optimal service and organization
- Communicate with vendors on product shipment as necessary
- Float between different departments to assist managers as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education and/or Experience:
- At least 3-6 months experience in food and beverage field or related areas preferred
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; Graduated or working towards college degree required
- POS system experience and knowledge preferred
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational skills to prioritize work activities
- Strong interpersonal skills required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledgeable of the menu, buffet and wine list.
- Learns members’ names and their special preferences.
- Knowledge of wines and spirits.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform required role during emergency situations.
Work will generally be performed in both indoor and outdoor environments. Temperatures can range from 100+ F to 32 F, and there may be exposure to loud noises and sustained elements. Working schedule is generally 40-50 hours per week, with some holidays, weekends and travel required. Must have the ability to lift up to 30 lbs. as required. General standing, walking, lifting, pushing and pulling movements are required.