Our team members are the compassionate core of who we are and how we serve. Every day we strive to live out our vision statement of “Best outcome every patient every time“ through living out our FOCUS values of Foster Unity, Own the Moment, Champion Excellence, and Seize Opportunities.
At UnityPoint Health, we provide care in nine regions throughout Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin. As the nation's fourth largest nondenominational health system in America, UnityPoint Health keeps people at the center of all we do. We are looking for dynamic and talented individuals to join our team. You'll find opportunities for every sized dream.
To perform routine and specialized diagnostic radiological procedures for patients of all ages in order to confirm or deny required treatment. This requires independent judgment to adapt procedures to obtain specific diagnostic results under the direction of a radiologist.
- Patient Care
- Performs radiologic diagnostic procedures in a manner that ensures an accurate and complete examination within the guidelines, policies, procedures and standards of Medical Imaging to assigned patients of all ages.
- Exhibits competency in performing and imaging radiographic and specialized procedures
- Deviates from routines when the patient's condition requires it or at the request of the radiologist
- Knowledgeable of invasive procedures, sterile tray set up, assisting radiologist, orders labs and pathology tests, and schedules procedures appropriately
- Obtains and documents accurate pre and post procedure information as applicable
- Follows JCAHO patient safety goals
- Maintains quality care throughout the procedure
- Practices radiation protection through shielding whenever possible
- Performs lab testing as appropriate
- Maintains working knowledge of equipment in order to function in multiple areas of the department.
- Technically knowledgeable of equipment operation including hardware, software, portables and c-arms, GU rooms, general rooms, fluoro rooms
- Performs reasonable trouble-shooting
- Checks and observes equipment for general safety, maintenance, and appropriate operation
- Reports equipment problems through appropriate channels
- Maintains clean work area, checks and stocks all supplies in their specific area and verifies pertinent accessories assigned to that room
- Performs support functions of the Medical Imaging department to ensure patient expectations and needs are met. Assumes personal responsibility for training fellow technologists/students and uses time, supplies and other resources productively to promote responsive and cost effective care for our patients.
- Promptly processes images in CR/DR/PACS and paper work according to proper procedures to ensure timely turn around in providing a report to the physician's office
- Maintains and coordinates patient flow to ensure efficient and expedient patient care, transporting patients to and from the department as required
- Promptly and accurately completes all fields in the HIS Radiant/PACS, i.e. number of images repeated, contrast reaction, exam data entry, start and stop times of exam
- Maintains and ensures a safe environment for patients and personnel and maintenance of the QA, QC, QI programs
- Shares knowledge, guides and encourages fellow technologists/students with proper department protocol and procedures
- Displays a professional attitude in the area toward fellow technologists/students, fostering mutual respect and creating a productive learning environment
- Completes care while conserving resources, preventing waste of supplies
- Uses slow time to improve area appearance and accept additional assignments, i.e. cassette cleaning, apron testing
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
- Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Completion of an accredited Radiography program and must have proof of graduation/completion within 60 days of start date
Associate degree in the field of Radiologic Technology or certificate in the Radiology preferred
ARRT-registered in Radiologic Technology by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologist and must have documentation of this registry at the time of employment.
New graduates, who are ARRT registry eligible, will have 6 months to produce this registry documentation of successful completion of the registry exam (employees hired before 10/1/18 will have 1 year from time of hire to produce)
IEMA-licensed by the State of Illinois and must present this documentation at the time of hire
May submit documentation of a “10 day letter“ provided by IEMA until IEMA licensure is received by the employee at which point is to be turned into the Educator of the Medical Imaging department
CPR-must have proof of current certification or obtain within 90 days of hire
- Basic reading, writing, oral English skills
- Multicultural sensitivity
- Customer/patient focused
- Basic computer knowledge
- Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions
- Ability to respond appropriately to customer/co-worker
- Interaction with a wide variety of people
- Maintain confidential information
- Ability to communicate only the facts to recipients or to decline to reveal information
- Ability to project a professional, friendly, helpful demeanor