Medical Office Assistant
UnityPoint Health-Methodist Campus
Shift: PRN As Needed
Clinic Hours are 8A-4:30P M-F No weekends or Holidays
- Please note this role does not offer a set amount of hours per week or benefits since it is PRN or As Needed but you will be provided with a schedule in advance*
Qualified candidates must have previous or current experience providing direct patient care such as working as a Medical Assistant, Phlebotomist, CNA, HHA, EMT etc. Must have experience taking vital signs and working in EMR system.
To assist and support the Coordinator, nursing staff, technicians, transcriptionist, and physicians in the provision of patient care. The incumbent functions as a receptionist and in a clerical role for the majority of the time, but also assists with transcription and patient care in all areas of the department as needed.
ACCURATELY FUNCTIONS IN THE OVERALL OPERATIONAL ASPECTS OF THE FRONT OFFICE INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE GREETING OF PATIENTS AND VISITORS, HANDLING PATIENT CHECK-IN AND CHECK-OUT PROCESSES, ANSWERING OF PHONES, RELAYING OF INFORMATION AND SCHEDULING APPOINTMENTS.
- Greets patients, visitors, physicians, vendors and others with a warm, positive attitude.
- Maintains neat and organized front desk.
- Uses professional etiquette and answers telephones promptly.
- Schedules patients appropriately and timely, seeking guidance from the Lead RN as needed.
- Determines the appropriate handling/management of each incoming phone call
- Takes complete and accurate messages, relays information promptly ,prioritizes messages and acts on those that present emergent needs
- Refers all questions of a medical nature to a professional clinical staff
- Demonstrates effective communication skills to promote smooth patient flow through the department/informs providers or clinical staff when there is a patient flow problem
- Obtains the necessary documentation and consents needed for treatment according to department protocol
- Informs Lead RN of patient cancellations and requests to add-on patients promptly.
- Keeps patients, visitors and vender representatives informed of delays
PERFORMS ALL DATA ENTRY FUNCTIONS. MAINTAINS COMPETENCY ON OFFICE INFROMATION SYSTEMS, PERFORMS A VARIETY OF CLERICAL SUPPORT FUNCTIONS TO ASSURE SMOOTH FLOW OF THE CLERICAL AREA AS WELL AS OTHER DEPARTMENT
- Updates and makes necessary changes in patient demographic information in a timely manner.
- Creates charts for upcoming consults and pulls follow-up charts for daily apt.
- Enter charges daily as outlined by clinical staff/ make charge corrections as needed.
- Run audit reports daily to ensure accuracy balance from previous day charges.
- Assist with faxing and copying as designated
- Maintain a proper filing system for charts and files in a timely manner
- Ensures dictations is available in a timely manner
- Coordinate schedule with Epic and Aria
- Order publications as needed
- Print daily schedule
- Retrieve and distribute mail
PERFORM MOA DUTIES AS REQUIRED
- Room patients as needed in nurse absence
- Assist patients in completion of paper work
- Schedule diagnostic tests as needed
- Attends computer classes as needed or scheduled.
- Maintains adequate knowledge of medical terminology.
ASSISTS IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF TEAMWORK OF STAFF TO ENSURE EFFICIENT AND APPROPRIATE PATIENT CARE
- Monitors the work flow and makes adjustments as needed
- Demonstrates ability to multitask with work flow
- Maintains a professional image
- Participates in the Quality Improvement process
- Provides a safe environment for patients and staff
- Follow up on concerns/problems as needed
- Provides documentation to ensure the facts are used to solve problems
- Collects data utilizing the quality improvement tools
Certificate Program in the field of Medical Assisting preferred
- Work Experience
- 1-3 years of experience in/with Clinical setting with patients of all ages is desired. Prior MOA experience is Preferred.
- License and Certification
- Additional Information: MOA certification or similar education preferred
- Required English Skills
- Basic reading skills
Basic writing skills Basic oral skills
- Communication Skills
- Ability to respond appropriately to customer/co-worker
Interaction with a wide variety of people Maintain confidential information Ability to communicate only the facts to recipients or to decline to reveal information Ability to project a professional, friendly, helpful demeanor
- Computer Skills
- Intermediate computer knowledge: Ability to troubleshoot minor problems within a Windows OS, operates within a network environment, uses spreadsheet, database, word processing and internet applications proficiently. Learns new applications without difficulty and is able to aid others in immediate work area with computer questions.