Serves as a working leader responsible for leading a minimum of three associates in the accomplishment of food preparation and serving activities for a location or area. The representative level of nonsupervisory work led is NA4.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- As working leader is responsible for passing on to Food Service Workers instructions received from supervisor and setting the pace for accomplishing food service duties. Participates in the training of new associates and answers their questions on procedures and other pertinent aspects of food service operations. Insures supervisors schedules and priorities are adhered to and keeps supervisor informed of the status and progress of work assignments and advises concerning problem areas.
- Performs the same work as associates led which consists of the following in a cafeteria countertype or snack bar operation
- Prepares to order such foods as frankfurters hamburgers chicken fried potatoes bacon eggs omelettes pancakes sausages french toast etc. involving the operation of a grill microwave andor deep fryer.
- Prepares salads such as tuna egg lettuce and tomato vegetable fruit etc. as well as sandwiches depending upon location menu. Slices meat cheese and bread cuts pies and cakes and prepares assorted beverages.
- Sets up food service counters steam tables etc. and hot and cold foods including meats vegetables salads desserts bread butter andor beverages stocks hot and cold drink dispensers.
- Receives/takes orders and serves customers in accordance with prescribed portions.
- Determines the need for and obtains replenishment of supplies from a designated location. Assists in periodic inventory taking.
- Insures that supplies equipment and food stuffs are economically used that waste is kept to a minimum and that equipment and appliances as well as the general work areas are kept clean.
- As required computes charges operates cash register and collects and accounts for cash.
- Adheres to Navy Exchange Customer Service standards by maintaining a neat clean appearance and wearing appropriate uniformname tag as required. Exercises tact good manners and courtesy when serving and assisting customers suggests substitutes when items are not available and informs customers of specials. Provides service in a prompt and friendly manner ensuring that the food items are presented in an attractive and appetizing way. Furnishes each customer with a register receipt and thanks the customer for their patronage.
- Works under the general supervision of a designated supervisor who makes assignments and provides instructions and assistance. Work is reviewed in terms of adherence to instructions and procedures and overall efficiency of location or area operation.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Associate frequently lifts or moves utensils or containers of food weighing up to 45 pounds is required to constantly stand and walk in accomplishing work.
Working areas are often uncomfortably warm and noisy. Exposed to minor cuts bruises burns and scalds. Danger of slipping on floors which are wet or where food or beverage has been dropped.
Eighteen months experience performing cafeteria or countertype food service duties such as preparing fruit and vegetable salads making simple sandwiches and coffee in large urns setting up food service counters steam tables etc. receiving customer orders and serving customers operating a cash register computing change performing cleaning duties such as scraping staking and preparing dishes for dishwasher keeping counters steam table and other equipment and appliances clean etc. or similar work that provided the knowledge and skills to perform the duties of the position.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR EXPERIENCE
One year of high school education may be substituted for 3 months of experience up to a High School Diploma or GED for 12 months of experience.
Lifting or moving carts of dirty dishes weighing up to 30 pounds occasionally up to 45 pounds. Constant standing and walking to accomplishing duties.