Performs laboratory testing of patient specimens in one or more sections of the laboratory. May mentor students and/or new hires.
- Performs examination of specimens. Interprets, documents and reports test results.
- Performs quality control testing, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Verifies analytic accuracy, precision, sensitivity and references ranges for test methods.
- Serves as a resource to laboratory staff and other clinical staff as needed.
Competencies and skills:
- STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOR: Acts in a manner that supports the standards of communication, respect, privacy, and teamwork by demonstrating a commitment to professional and ethical conduct.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Demonstrates commitment to service excellence by promptly addressing internal/external customer issues/requests, resolving concerns while maintaining a professional image and behavior to build and enhance the patient/family/customer experience.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Accepts ownership of job roles and specific assignments/goals; works independently, takes responsibility for own actions; admits mistakes and judgment errors; and accepts constructive feedback. Connects personal work results to the accomplishment of team and organizational goals.
- RESPONDING TO CHANGE: Accepts change and adapts in a positive and productive manner; handles unexpected situations and changes in direction calmly and with confidence. Views new assignments and job responsibilities as an opportunity for growth.
- SPECIMEN HANDLING, ACCESSIONING, AND PROCESSING: Receives, accessions, and processes specimens.
- EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE - LAB: Performs maintenance procedures on equipment and analyzers.
- ACCURACY: Completes work assignments within established quality and/or quantity standards.
- ANALYSIS AND DECISION MAKING: Uses decision making processes and tools to analyze situations and make effective decisions.
- CLINICAL POLICIES AND STANDARDS: Applies knowledge of clinical standards, policies, and procedures relevant to function and organization.
- Clinical Lab Technologist License - FL
- Clinical Lab Supervisor License - FL
Education equivalent experience:
- As required by Florida state licensure.
Complexity of Work: Requires critical thinking skills, effective communication skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision. Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
Required Work Experience: No experience required
- Bending and Stooping 60.00%
- Climbing 40.00%
- Keyboard Entry 60.00%
- Kneeling 20.00%
- Lifting or Carrying 0 - 25 lbs Non-Patient 60.00%
- Lifting or Carrying 25.01 lbs - 75 lbs Non-Patient 20.00%
- Pushing or Pulling 0 - 25 lbs Non-Patient 60.00%
- Pushing or Pulling 26 - 75 lbs Non-Patient 20.00%
- Reaching 60.00%
- Repetitive Movement Hand/Arm 60.00%
- Sitting 60.00%
- Squatting 40.00%
- Standing 60.00%
- Walking 60.00%
- Audible Speech 60.00%
- Hearing Acuity 60.00%
- Smelling Acuity 40.00%
- Depth Perception 60.00%
- Distinguish Color 60.00%
- Seeing - Far 60.00%
- Seeing - Near 60.00%
- Bio hazardous Waste 60.00%
- Biological Hazards - Respiratory 60.00%
- Biological Hazards - Skin or Ingestion 60.00%
- Blood and/or Bodily Fluids 60.00%
- Communicable Diseases and/or Pathogens 60.00%
- Dust 40.00%
- Gas/Vapors/Fumes 40.00%
- Hazardous Chemicals 60.00%
- Latex 20.00%
- Computer Monitor 60.00%
- Fire Risk 40.00%
- Hazardous Noise 20.00%
- Heating Devices 60.00%
- Moving Mechanical Parts 60.00%
- Needles/Sharp Objects 60.00%
- Potential Electric Shock 40.00%
- Potential for Physical Assault 20.00%
- Radiation 40.00%
- Wet or Slippery Surfaces 40.00%
Memorial Hospital West opened in 1992 with 100 beds to serve the growing population of western Broward. Today, the hospital has 384 beds and is one of the busiest and most technologically advanced in the region.
Memorial Hospital West's many respected specialty programs include:
- Medical and Surgical Services
- Adult and Pediatric Emergency Departments
- Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute
- Memorial Cancer Institute
- Blood and Marrow Transplant Program, including Broward County's first adult inpatient autologous transplant unit
- Memorial Neuroscience Institute
- Memorial Rehabilitation Institute
- Bariatric/Weight-Loss Surgery Program
- The Family Birthplace
- Women's Services
Truven Health Analytics and Modern Healthcare magazine named Memorial Hospital West one of the nation's 100 Top Hospitals in 2013 and 2014 – and the hospital has been consistently recognized by The Leapfrog Group with an “A“ Ranking for Patient Safety.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended, nor should it be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification.