Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group's member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company. We combine a “small company“ culture where your ideas will be heard with “big company“ expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
Great American Custom, an underwriting division of Great American Insurance Group, dedicates itself to serving client needs and delivering outstanding service. We have made a name for ourselves as a full-service underwriting organization focused on long-term client relationships and customized business solutions. We specialize in providing primary casualty products as well as umbrella and capacity excess products that meet the needs of the commercial market. Our policy holders range from small businesses to complex multi-national corporations and Fortune 1000 accounts.
We are currently seeking a Claim Technical Director for our Parsippany, NJ location.
- Manages a book of claims for a significant size or complex product(s). Investigates and maintains claims:
- Reviews and evaluates coverage and / or liability.
- Secures necessary information (i.e., reports, policies, appraisals, releases, statements, records or other documents) in the investigation of claims.
- Works toward the resolution of claims files, and attends arbitrations, mediations, dispositions or trials as necessary.
- May affect settlements / reserves within prescribed limits and submit recommendations to supervisor on cases exceeding personal authority.
- Conveys highly complex information (coverage, decisions, outcomes, negotiations, etc.) to all appropriate parties maintaining professional demeanor in all situations.
- Ensures that claims payments are issued in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensures compliance of claims handling pursuant to all state, legal, statutory and regulatory bodies to comply with all company procedures and requirements.
- Serves as the technical expert on a product(s).
- Evaluates and makes recommendations to executive management on internal and external issues of strategic importance to a product(s).
- Accountable for achieving performance targets / business results.
- Provides technical advice, assistance and training to lower level positions, management and other functional areas.
- a. Interacts with underwriting and marketing regarding claims trend issues.
- Leads the work of others (mentors, prioritizes, delegates and reviews assignments).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Draft coverage position letter with minimal supervision.
- Manage complex litigation; attend mediations, arbitrations, depositions, and trials as necessary.
- Frequent interaction with senior management, underwriter, Corporate Claims, reinsurers and others, will be required.
- Comply with applicable company procedures and policies, statutes, regulations, and other legal requirements governing claims handling.
- Respond to inquiries from underwriters, producers and reinsurers.
- Maintain necessary adjusters licenses.
Education: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience.Field of Study: Liberal Arts, Business or a related discipline.Experience: 10 or more years of related experience in complex litigation involving high exposure Professional Liability E&O claims.
- A high and extensive level of technical knowledge and skills.
- Significant litigation management and negotiation experience required.
- Excellent Organization and communication skills and essential.
- Proven ability to lead and innovate.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications, as well as overall technological acumen.