Since the early days, Algolia has been running hybrid infrastructure largely based on bare metal servers. This approach gives Algolia complete control over the performance of the system but also brings challenges in automation, maintenance and provisioning. As a member of the Foundation squad you'll evolve and maintain our infrastructure and the related automation.
With it's rapid growth, Algolia's infrastructure is growing by 100% every year and what used to be a handful servers in 1 datacenter is now over 1000 servers across 15 regions and 50+ data centers. All that without compromise on security of availability. There will be more servers, more data centers, more regions. Are up for a challenge?
No two problems are the same because all the systems evolve all the time. We expect you to be a resilient problem solver who isn’t afraid to think outside of the box and use the knowledge of system interactions in your favor. You’ll also take ownership of complete projects and execute them.
The team is composed of engineers with different backgrounds and experience both in the industry and academia. The diversity works in our favor and you should increase it by bringing your experience, your knowledge and your point of view. Thinking differently is a plus, not a minus.
We’re transparent with each other and to other teams both about our success and our failures. This way we learn, we accept our weaknesses and continuously strive to improve both personally and professionally.
Your role will consist of:
- Develop and maintain Algolia's worldwide infrastructure
- Discuss with vendors and partners hardware release plans
- Test new preproduction hardware
- Develop and maintain infrastructure automation systems
- Perform capacity planning based on the growth and needs of the company
- Provision new infrastructure
- Troubleshoot issues and outages related to the infrastructure
You might be a fit if you have:
- 4+ years of engineering experience
- Knowledge of server hardware
- Knowledge of datacenter and colocation environment
- Knowledge of Shell scripting and at least one scripting language (Python, Ruby, etc.)
- Willing to learn Go (golang)
- Understanding of Linux systems: I/O, process scheduling, filesystems
- Understanding of computer networks: TCP/IP, DNS, load-balancing
- Full professional English proficiency
- Rigor in high code quality, automated testing, and other engineering best practices
- Ability to make independent decisions and taking ownership for them
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of Go (golang)
- Ability to use a configuration management tool like Ansible, Puppet or Chef
- Knowledge of low level principles of computers and network components
We’re looking for someone who can live our values:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment.
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership.
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- HUMILITY - Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Business Travel Insurance
- Relocation support
- Company Canteen (high standard)
- Flexible work hours and unlimited time off
- Competitive pay and equity
- Coaching and sponsorship to participate and speak at leading industry conferences
- Ongoing professional education opportunities through internal & external workshops, including public speaking, language learning (English/French)
- Fun: we spend time together — team building, socializing and making tools that encourage getting to know teammates across offices and continents.
- Charitable contribution matching
- Unique referral rewards program: refer a candidate, and we’ll donate to your charity of choice
- Corporate flats available for the first months of relocation and when you travel to different offices
- Fully stocked kitchens
- Team workouts
- Meals & happy hours