At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
From day one, Lyft’s mission has been to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. And self-driving cars are critical to that mission: they can make our streets safer, cities greener, and traffic a thing of the past. That’s why we started Level 5, our self-driving division, where we’re building a self-driving system to operate on the Lyft network.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in developing the leading self-driving system for ridesharing. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, and each has the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the future of our technology. Our world-class software and hardware experts work in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, California, and offices in London, England and Munich, Germany. And we’re moving at an incredible pace: we’re currently servicing employee rides in our test vehicles on the Lyft app. Learn more at lyft.com/level5.
As part of the Autonomy Team, you will be interacting on a daily basis with other software engineers to tackle highly advanced AI challenges. Eventually we expect all Autonomy Team members to work on a variety of problems across the autonomy space; however, with a focus on perception, your work will initially involve turning our constant flow of sensor data into a model of the world. For this position, we are looking for a software engineer with the ability to master the problem of object tracking, using advanced algorithms.
- Work on core perception algorithms such as object detection, tracking, segmentation, and state space estimation
- Build segmentation and classification algorithms on LiDAR point cloud data
- Implement state-of-the-art detectors and tracking for vision
- Develop sensor fusion algorithms for radar, LiDAR, and vision modalities
- Implement real-time algorithms (< 10 milliseconds) on CPU/GPU in C++
- Build tools and infrastructure to evaluate the performance of perception stack and track it over time
- Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field
- Ability to write high-quality C++ code
- Strong background in mathematics, linear algebra, geometry, and probability
- Ability to build machine learning applications using a broad range of tools such as decision trees, Hidden Markov Models, deep neural networks, etc
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and collaborate across teams and disciplines
- Openness to new / different ideas. Ability to evaluate multiple approaches and choose the best one based on first principles
- (Nice to have) 3+ years experience working in a related role
- (Nice to have) 5+ years developing in C++ / Python
- (Nice to have) Hands on experience with applying deep learning to computer vision or other sensor data
- (Nice to have) Experience with GPU programming in CUDA
- (Nice to have) Experience with classical computer vision techniques like structure from motion, RANSAC, Hough transformations, camera calibration, pinhole projection models, etc
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rides
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.