Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for an experienced Quality Manager who will develop our Quality Management System, including production built in quality system, purchased parts inspection, product inspection, non-conformity management and documentation, supplier qualification, supplier quality and performance.
Responsibilies included, but are not limited to:
Quality Management System
- Experience with Quality Management Systems under the AS9100 standard
- Develop procedures to ensure that products and processes comply with engineering requirements, company guidelines and government regulations
- Write process documentation, from scratch, to comply with the AS9100 standard
- Define visual inspection and testing plan for the entire Heaviside production process. Identify the various inspection/test points throughout the process and the precise criteria that should be controlled to produce a compliant product every time. Convert engineering specifications into clear, simple to execute inspections, control points and quality work instructions
- Integrate Quality Instructions and Inspection Requirements into our Manufacturing Execution System (MES)
- Define product and material traceability and genealogy requirements to comply with AS9100 standards
- Create KPIs that represent the quality of the product
- Analyze data with statistical methods to identify trends and opportunities for improvement
- Be a liaison and support the Flight Test team to identify the top defects causing vehicle damage or excessive repair time
- Develop criteria for source selection and be a key player in the source selection process. Verify suppliers’ ability to meet product quality requirements and support business decisions
- Manage and improve the performance of our supply base through processes such as quality requirements flow down, supplier quality management system approvals, and coordination of verification activities of purchased products
- Communicate defective conditions to vendor partners and develop and manage supplier corrective action request (SCAR) / non conformance report (NCR) process
- Plan and assign supplier audits and assessments, initiating corrective action and establishing supplier improvements
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred Master’s Degree). 8+ years experience in Manufacturing Quality environment and experience with AS9100
- Open to international and domestic travel to suppliers. Demonstrated managerial experience in recruiting, interviewing and hiring a team
- Experience in training and coaching team members to successfully integrate them in their operations
- Experience working with an MES system (traceability and genealogy, quality issues tracking, work instruction execution)
- Familiarity with a wide variety of technologies: PCB assembly, wire harness manufacturing, carbon fiber & composites fabrication, bonding, avionics assembly, electrical sub-assemblies (Low & High Voltage) & fiber optic / wire harness routing
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.